Brake Light Question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 27th, 2005, 07:03 PM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
Brake Light Question

I found out my brake lights have been out for over a month now. Both except the third brake like. I pulled them out and the filiments are fine. The back of em have imprints on the connectors. I put a new bulb in and it works fine, but this is not the first time its done this. Could there be a short or is it they get wet and fry it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00062.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	3066  

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2005, 08:51 PM
steved90
steven melnyk

i have had some break light problems lately and what has been happening is that water has been getting in the tail lights drilled some weep holes in the lens and had to replace some wiring cuz the connectors were fried. got it fixed last weekend and seems to be fine so far. there is a thing in the custom mods about weep holes. hope that helps. also the wiring job that was done on mine was pretty ugly so some one has worked on it before i bought it.

good luck!
Old April 27th, 2005, 10:07 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I have the same problem. The weird thing is that you can add a little solder to the "dented" terminal and the bulb will work great again for a few more months. Go figure. I may try some dielectric grease to see if that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 28th, 2005, 08:43 AM
steved90
steven melnyk

dave you have a pick up? could you post some pictuers. i would love to find one.
Old April 28th, 2005, 09:16 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved90
dave you have a pick up? could you post some pictuers. i would love to find one.
I will, give me a day or two.
Old April 29th, 2005, 06:26 AM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Stop lamps

Hi All,
I have had this problem numerous times and found it is caused by the pins in the housing forming corrosion which stops the lamps working or makes them work intermittantly.

I have cleaned the contacts up and gave them a spray with WD40, have worked fine now for over a year
Also took the opertunity to change the lamps for LED units, have had the lights under water on 2 occasions &
seen the worst of the weather, no probs since.

Gren
Old May 4th, 2005, 02:42 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
White petroleum jelly (vasaline) works wonders. Just smear it on the terminals of what ever and thats the end of electrical corrosion problems for a very long while. Waxoyl does the same job too - prevents corrosion, it only takes the smallest amount and Lucas prince of darkness strikes.
Just sorted lighting issues on the front of my 90 - smashed a side light and on repalcement nothing electrical worked on the front wings of either side
Had to remake and clean all the bullet connectors light connectors and earth points, I waxoyled everything on reassembly and it 's all fine now... well after I'd cleaned the contacts in the fuse box which had all become non conductive....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
brake, ht