Brake light issue - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 18th, 2017, 12:01 PM
Orb
Ed
none

Brake light issue

Can someone point me in the right direction for this electrical fix. 1992 110 200tdi.

My dashboard brake light is having some issues. When I first got it about 3 months ago there was no problem with the parking brake light. Pulled the handle up and light went on, lowered it and it went off. About two weeks ago I noticed that the light no longer went on when I pulled the handle up. Not a big deal I thought, either a burnt out bulb or maybe the activation switch on the handle went bad.

A week later and now I've got a really strange situation, the light is constantly on and disengaging the emergency brake has no effect. What does turn the light off (and this is just temporary) is repeatedly pressing the brake peddle. I'll tap the brake peddle a few times and the light will flicker, then dim, then go out. It'll stay out for about 30-40 seconds and then slowly come back on again. Have tried hunting down where the actuator switch is located but having no luck. Could I have crossed wires somewhere? or is it as simple as a misaligned or failing plunger switch. I would expect that the light would go on when I pressed on the brake peddle down not go off if things were wired right. I am probably not understanding some important electrical/mechanical connection between the emergency and regular brakes

Thanks for any help/advice

Orb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 18th, 2017, 12:24 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Check the brake fluid level.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old August 18th, 2017, 12:50 PM
Orb
Ed
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Check the brake fluid level.
Isn't it a straight mechanical connection between the emergency brake handle and the drum on the differential?

Regular brakes work fine, I think its just a wiring/switch issue but I guess it wouldn't hurt to check the fluid.

Orb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 18th, 2017, 01:04 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I think you really need to figure out what the indicator is actually wired to display.

Who knows what is wired to that bulb on that truck. Could be factory, could be a bodge.

The reason you are confused is because you actually have no idea. You started with a deduction, and now that the logic behind your deduction is held in question, you are back to square one. "What does this bulb actually show me?" The problem is that we have no idea, either

Parking brake switch is located next to the diff lock linkage on the LT230. Brake fluid sensor is located on the brake fluid reservoir cap.
Old August 18th, 2017, 01:18 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Take a picture of which light is coming on. The brake warning light is connected to two or three things depending on the year and market.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
brake, ht