Brake Issues, Master Cylinder? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 9th, 2008, 01:16 AM
NashvilleRedD90
Will Peters
'97 NAS D90 ST #1704 -4.6

Brake Issues, Master Cylinder?

I've had this problem going on since spring and I'm fairly sure its the master cylinder but wanted to check and see what you guys think. Most of the time when I hit the brakes I get the normal firm pedal, but every once in a while (maybe every 5-10th time) when I press the brake pedal it takes more travel and its soft. If I pump it again then its back to normal.

I replaced all my pads and rotors back in the spring (with genuine pads and rotors) and have bled the brakes and put in all new dot 4 fluid. So whats it sound like is going on here?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 11th, 2008, 12:09 PM
sommer_90
Jeff Sommer
1994 Defender 90

I had the same issue but it ended up being a leaky seal...

in the rear caliper. It did not leak enough to see any fluid until I got into the caliper and around the dust seal there was a little fluid. I rebuilt all my calipers and changed to SS lines the brakes feel great and I never touched the master cylinder. So there is no guarantee I thought it was the master as well at first.

Good luck
Old July 11th, 2008, 12:29 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

check your wheel bearing, if they are on the way out it will push your pads back and you will need to pump to get pressure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 11th, 2008, 12:46 PM
NashvilleRedD90
Will Peters
'97 NAS D90 ST #1704 -4.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sommer_90
in the rear caliper. It did not leak enough to see any fluid until I got into the caliper and around the dust seal there was a little fluid. I rebuilt all my calipers and changed to SS lines the brakes feel great and I never touched the master cylinder. So there is no guarantee I thought it was the master as well at first.

Good luck
I don't think any of my calipers are leaking. But a small leak is a possibility I guess, I never had to rebuild any of the calipers on this truck...

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy salmon
check your wheel bearing, if they are on the way out it will push your pads back and you will need to pump to get pressure
Well I'm actually repacking my wheel bearings this weekend. So I'll see if that makes any difference.

I'll also check my calipers and see if I can see any leaks. Thanks for the help, I'll report back with my findings...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
brake, master