Defender Source Forum banner

Brake Flaring Tools...

Tags
brake
3K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Chris Velardi 
#1 ·
I've got to do brake line work on 3 of my vehicles, and my most recent kit (which was an OTC kit) bit the bullet the last time I used it. I've bought so many kits in the past, everything from the cheap auto parts flaring tools to the more expensive (like the OTC) ones. I'm truly sick of having to re-flare lines due to inconsistent results. Now I'm considering either the Mastercool 71475 (http://www.amazon.com/MasterCool-Universal-Hydraulic-Flaring-Tool/dp/B00063YR2I) which will do all sorts of flares, and you can get the dies for AN fittings, or this Eastwood one (http://www.eastwood.com/professional-brake-tubing-flaring-tool.html) which is about $30 cheaper and has less capability. Admittedly they are both ridiculously spendy, and I am most certainly cheap, but I'm leaning towards the Mastercool. Does anyone on the forum have one of these? If so, what do you think? Out of the 9 reviews on amazon, 2 weren't favorable.

#3 ·
can't comment on the quality of any of those but if your kits are "biting the bullet," (assuming you mean they are dying which is actually a misuse of "bite the bullet") make sure that you deburr the lines before you attempt to flare them, and use sufficient oil to lubricate the dies before you hork down on them.

fyi:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072705/

:)

#4 ·
One would supposedly bite on a bullet to endure pain. Whether anyone actually DID bite a bullet is another thing

#5 ·
Perhaps I should have left out the idiom to keep the conversation going in the correct direction. Thanks for pointing out my folly, as what I meant was that my last set did in fact kick the bucket while I was questioning wether I should indeed bite the bullet and purchase a new set of brake tools. Though it could be said that the poor yoke I was using did indeed endure hardship and/or an otherwise painful situation (me) before it gave up the ghost, despite my stringent deburring and lubricating practices while making the lines.

I ended up ordering the Mastercool this morning and 2nd day'ed it so I could hopefully get my Toyota back on the road for the weekend. The ability to easily make oil cooler/tranny cooler lines swayed my decision.

#6 ·
Awesome. I was thinking the same thing. Were you making stainless lines? Anyway, let us know how it works out. I've long wanted a proper flaring tool myself.

#9 ·
I didn't use stainless tubing for my 'Yota as I'm probably selling it in a few months, but the flares that tool made are awesome. It takes a little to get the hang of, but it produces consistent flares. If anyone local is thinking about buying one of these and wants to see what it's about before they buy one, let me know. Who wants to buy my old flaring kits?:)

#12 ·
I own the Eastwood tool , (I also bought 2 or 3 other cheep ones over the last 30 years and they end up giving garbage results. I picked up the Eastwood tool when i remade all the lines on the 101FC , it is truly a professional tool , you can make both ends on a custom line in a matter of seconds and each and every one is dead on perfect. I would also recommend a good quality ratcheting tubing cutter like the Rachcut RC375 , always ream and deburr before flaring.

#13 ·
Lately I've been using a hack saw to cut, a file to knock down the outside edge and any resulting burrs, and a deburring tool for the inside edge. I usually end up hitting it with emory paper after to do a final clean up. I used to use a tubing cutter which produced a cleaner edge at first, then I read an article about how tubing cutters actually harden the brake line at the cut, and the result can make it more difficult to produce a clean flare. It honestly goes against everything I know, especially since many flaring tools come with tubing cutters, but then again, I also used to think following the manufacturer's break in instructions were the best way to break in an engine too.

#14 ·
So what tubing are you using here, stainless or copper alloy or something else?

Also, I might be interested in one of your old sets if they haven't "bit the dust" or "**** the bed" or whatever you want to say. If they have any life left I might be interested is what I'm trying to say.

#15 ·
I've been using regular old bulk brake tubing, whatever the green coated Napa stuff is (steel alloy maybe?). I need to call KD tools (which is actually what my double flare set is) regarding the failed component. I realized this weekend the label on my set actually contains 2 wonderful words, "lifetime guarantee", despite what the customer service rep told me the first time I called. Once I have it squared away with them, I'll let you know.

#19 ·
The brake line I was/am using is poly armor. I was going to get the Eastwood tool awhile ago, but they told me it wouldn't make bubble flares. Looks like that must've changed recently, as they now advertise it does. I bought a tig welder from them a year ago that works great, so I'd imagine that brake tool works well too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.