Brake Clunk--Clank - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 26th, 2004, 10:57 PM
RoverChic
D-90 Source P.I.
02 D2, 13 E350 AMG, 11 Ford F350

Brake Clunk--Clank

I am driving today in the Disco and when I begin to brake I get a clunk type noise. The noise is coming from the left driver side (replaced caliper). The noise is only there when I brake and is now noticeable in reverse gear and appears as a dragging (like cdl is engaged but is not). Someone suggested the pan hard rod? Or Rock shield. After careful inspection there is nothing wrong to the naked eye?

When I have the rover turned off and I move the driver side by pulling up and down on the brush bar I get a clank noise as though the shock mount is broken. This noise is not on the left side.

Someone even mentioned tranny is gone. However I can accelerate ok and it shifts ok ..this is only seen when braking and de-acceleration under 15 mph and in reverse (i.e. dragging). Any thoughts before I BEND OVER for the mechanic? Thanks as always!

1998 D1 89k

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 26th, 2004, 11:00 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
chitty chitty bang bang
Old December 26th, 2004, 11:12 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Maybe a U-joint or possibly a CV, I say start off by isolating it to either suspension or drive train. You can't drive without suspension but you don't need any drive going to the front to move, and since it only happens at low speeds I say pull the front driveshaft and take it for a spin, If the noise is gone then you have something if not then pull the ends off of the hubs and take it for a spin again, if the noise is still there then it is suspension/steering. I hate clunky things but bangy things are much worse. And Phile I have not seen Chitty chitty Bang Bang but the girlfriend says I need to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 27th, 2004, 12:59 AM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I'd crawl under the truck with a fist full of wrenches and make sure everything is tight...particularly the panhard rod bolts, Radius arm bolts, Motor mount nuts, swivel ball bolts and drive flanges and lug nuts.
Rob
Old December 27th, 2004, 10:01 AM
javelinadave
-
-

If this is on a Disco, you might want to try the Discoweb.org. I would think that with all the complaints about their 22" wheels getting brake dust or their kids juice boxes not fitting into the cup holders (square peg, round hole, get it) that somebody over there has clunky brakes.
Old December 27th, 2004, 10:10 AM
redrover

Recheck the torque on the two caliper bolts. Make sure to use locktite. Also did you do any other work on the front left besides new caliper? JP
Old December 27th, 2004, 10:57 AM
RoverChic
D-90 Source P.I.

Thanks for the help and suggestions. I am just going to tow it to the mechanic as when I put it in reverse it is shaking and making those weird flexing noises and I am only in the driveway not climbing a huge rock! It sounds like a thump right before I brake! LOL!

As far as D-Web goes I *USED* to be a very active member in that community. However I got tired of being told that I was stupid, un-educated, and the list could go on and on and on ...

Mike or CvC: If you don't want me to post Disco questions send me a quick email. I was not sure on that policy. Thanks.
Old December 27th, 2004, 02:06 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I know it's a silly one, but might be worth checking since the symptoms are the same..... (And I've done it, seen others do it, am very paranoid about it) Lug nuts on tight, and the wheel properly aligned on the hub?

As the other guys said, double check that the caliper is properly bolted on too, as well as the pads and all the clips are properly seated in the caliper.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old December 27th, 2004, 10:19 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverChic
Mike or CvC: If you don't want me to post Disco questions send me a quick email. I was not sure on that policy. Thanks.
The policy is that all Rover enthusists are welcome to participate here. As there are many components shared on both Discoverys and D90's, Discovery questions and possible solution suggestions are welcome here and can possible help others with the same issues.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old December 27th, 2004, 10:50 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverChic

Hey Roverchic,
Don't take what I said as a brush off. We are 100's, The Disco's are 10's of 1000's. Somewhere on the Discoweb, between the whining, somebody has had the same problem with their brakes as you. I use it (with a grain of salt) for a very general mechanical data base. Nobody here owns a Rover for any other reason than we love Rovers and are more than happy to help out a brother (or sister) in need of a hand. I have helped out stranded Rover people both on the trail and off, I welded on a crossmember for a guy I met 2 weeks prior, it is what we do.
Old December 29th, 2004, 09:24 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Yes the a## hole factor seems pretty high one the DiscoWeb.
Old December 30th, 2004, 04:17 PM
RoverChic
D-90 Source P.I.

Hey Randy...We need to try and make it to Clayton with the TexasRovers. I have been out there before but I did not get to wheel much..I went with Gus M and others. I want to do the 45 degree cliff -thingy (stage 3) In fact you were the only D-90 to make it up there right? You can email me off line or post on okrovers.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
brake