Brake bleeding help!! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 17th, 2004, 05:07 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Brake bleeding help!!

I have a d 110 and I just rebuilt the master cylinder. I followed the manual bleeding proceedure!? I still have air in the system afer running a qt of fluid through! Any suggestions??!! If I pump twice it is rock hard so I am almost there! BUT!
Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2004, 06:40 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

By any chance did you do anything with the rear shoes? The reason I ask is that I had the exact same problem as you after doing a complete brake job on my 110. I must have pumped a gallon of fluid through trying to get all of the air out. I finally figured out that the rear shoes were installed wrong.
Old May 17th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

I did the shoes last year. The shoes I installed I bought from the UK. They looked different than the ones I had on [stock]. The pedal pumps up & feels good. Maybe I should flip the shoes!??!
How were your shoes wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2004, 02:06 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Peter,

My 110 was the exact same way - pump the pedal a couple of times and it was fine. So I kept thinking that there had to be air trapped in there somewhere. So I just kept bleeding and bleeding, but it never got better. Finally stopped to think about what I had done, and anything possible that could affect it. I found that by adjusting the rear brake shoes tight, that it was better. I called Rovers Norths (where I had bought the brakes shoes), and asked them if there was anything special about installing the rear shoes. They said that you have to make sure you get them installed in the right places. There are pins in slightly different locations on the shoes that contact the eccentric adjusters. If the shoes aren't installed in the right location, they don't contact the adjuster properly and it takes more stroke of the wheel cylinder to engage the shoe. I can't remember exactly which shoes go where, but I'd suggest calling RN since they told me. You need to look at the shoes very closely to see the difference. Since I corrected this, I've had no problem.

Oh, and a simple way of seeing if you have your shoes installed correctly is to rotate the adjusters. If any of them spin free (i.e. you can rotate it 360 deg), then the shoe is in the wrong location.
Old May 18th, 2004, 02:22 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
I'll second that. I spent ages trying to bleed/adjust the rear brake shoes. Got 'em in back to front! There is very little difference to see but all the difference in the world when it comes to the brakes working properly. I was about to get the drums skimmed because I thought they were oval
Switched them round and perfection, haven't needed to adjust them since.
Old May 18th, 2004, 02:24 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Thanks for the help!! I adjusted the brake shoes & that did it. I was beginnig to doubt my wrenching skills! 1 click on the adjusters & it did the trick. I was not looking forward to removing the brake shoes cuz that sucks! BUT all is well for now! the next thing is new sincro's!! I only have 38k on the truck but the previous owner must not have been good with a clutch!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bleed, brake