brake and clutch pipes DIY??? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 4th, 2007, 11:48 PM
rgrrvr
DJ Menasco is The Dude
1995 D90

brake and clutch pipes DIY???

So I'm gonna make my own clutch and brake pipes. You can buy Russell and other brand stainless steel pipe section for around $40 from Summit Racing and I read on ORRP all the time the Brits do it. I have no idea what I'm doing. What tool do I need to flare the end of the tubing? what diameter tubing is required? and what size are the fittings on the flex pipe (clutch and brake for the female fittings, master cylinder(clutch and brake) for the male fittings? Anyone done this or proficient? I didn't see any old threads. RN, AB, and the usual suspects ask a F-ing fortune for this... around ten times the cost. I'll call Summit in the AM, they're closed now. This'll add to the "built not bought" quality of my 90.

I'll post pics and notes when I get it done in case anyone else wants to save a fortune.

Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 5th, 2007, 12:55 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I wanted to do the same thing, but am also unsure of the exact fittings. FYI, Summit is 24hrs unless they have changed in the last couple years.
Old September 5th, 2007, 11:48 AM
rgrrvr
DJ Menasco is The Dude
1995 D90

I'll let you know what I come up with
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 5th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
hi

I built a coil sprung hybrid for a guy here in DC using all hand made brake lines. I used defender and range rover axles and had to use the ISO flaring kit. Don't know if that was the right kit but the lines are still holding 7 years later.
I probably had to make some double (trumpet shape) flares as well, best to get both sets.

the fittings were all metric IIRC and were sourced from BGC Motorsports in the UK shipped direct to my house. The line was not stainless but you want 3/16 or the metric equivalent.

rgrds
dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrrvr
So I'm gonna make my own clutch and brake pipes. You can buy Russell and other brand stainless steel pipe section for around $40 from Summit Racing and I read on ORRP all the time the Brits do it. I have no idea what I'm doing. What tool do I need to flare the end of the tubing? what diameter tubing is required? and what size are the fittings on the flex pipe (clutch and brake for the female fittings, master cylinder(clutch and brake) for the male fittings? Anyone done this or proficient? I didn't see any old threads. RN, AB, and the usual suspects ask a F-ing fortune for this... around ten times the cost. I'll call Summit in the AM, they're closed now. This'll add to the "built not bought" quality of my 90.

I'll post pics and notes when I get it done in case anyone else wants to save a fortune.

Keith
Old September 5th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
bgc site

go here and scroll down

http://www.bgcmotorsport.co.uk/newbrakepart.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching
hi

I built a coil sprung hybrid for a guy here in DC using all hand made brake lines. I used defender and range rover axles and had to use the ISO flaring kit. Don't know if that was the right kit but the lines are still holding 7 years later.
I probably had to make some double (trumpet shape) flares as well, best to get both sets.

the fittings were all metric IIRC and were sourced from BGC Motorsports in the UK shipped direct to my house. The line was not stainless but you want 3/16 or the metric equivalent.

rgrds
dave
Old September 5th, 2007, 09:02 PM
rgrrvr
DJ Menasco is The Dude
1995 D90

Thanks!!!
Old September 6th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrrvr
I have no idea what I'm doing.
You might want start with just the clutch and live with that for a good while. Something that isn't quite as potentionally lethal to others on the road. Or have someone working with you who does know what they are doing.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old September 6th, 2007, 01:24 PM
rgrrvr
DJ Menasco is The Dude
1995 D90

Thanks for the heads up but I don't think its that hard to screw up, either it seals or it doesn't.
Mebbe I'll take it around the neighborhood a few times first and try stopping at the crosswalks.
Old September 6th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Well, actually it is. Mounting points, methods of mounting, stainless is quite different from carbon steel as far as working it, brittleness, type of construction of the tubing.
Also brake tubing has to be DOT approved, so that might even be a consideration for you (from the insurance/liability perspective).

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
brake, clutch