Brake and clutch issues - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 13th, 2014, 10:49 AM
beast
the beast
2003/Defender 90

Brake and clutch issues

clutch--
the clutch on my 110 defender is really soft.
how do i fix this?

brake--

Only the front wheel brakes are working on the defender.
how do i resolve this?

Please help...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 13th, 2014, 10:54 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast View Post
clutch--
the clutch on my 110 defender is really soft.
how do i fix this?

brake--

Only the front wheel brakes are working on the defender.
how do i resolve this?

Please help...
Easy, you download or buy a workshop manual. It will help you fix things now and in the future.
GOOGLE is your best source and the SEARCH BUTTON at the top of the page is your next best bet.
Both issues have been addressee hundreds of times on this forum.
Old January 13th, 2014, 11:42 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Sounds like you need to start by bleeding your brakes and clutch. Best to flush both systems with new fluid as well. Check the fittings and parts for any leaks. Parts that can go bad and leak are brake calipers (front), brake cylinders (assuming your D has drums for the rear), brake lines, brake master cylinders, clutch master and secondary cylinders.

I recommend dropping $50 for a power bleeder as it makes the job so much easier -- especially if you have never bled hydraulic systems before. Does anyone know if the cap on this bleeder fits on a LR?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mv...FbIDOgod-EsA5w
Search YouTube for "how to XXXXX" videos to get an idea of what is required.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 13th, 2014, 12:29 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Your pictures on your other thread show that you don't even have the hydraulic clutch parts or the hydraulics for the brakes installed. It also looks like your engine doesn't even have pistons in two cylinders. I would get your engine assembled and running before you worry about anything else. Why waste your time and money if you can't get it running?
Old January 13th, 2014, 12:34 PM
beast
the beast
2003/Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Your pictures on your other thread show that you don't even have the hydraulic clutch parts or the hydraulics for the brakes installed. It also looks like your engine doesn't even have pistons in two cylinders. I would get your engine assembled and running before you worry about anything else. Why waste your time and money if you can't get it running?
the pics in the other threat are of my D90 which is a project vehicle.
the vehicle which im talking about was fully functioning up to a week ago. Its a 110 Defender pick up (2.5 petrol). Suddenly the clutch became soft and the brakes are not working. Ill post a pic of it soon
Old January 13th, 2014, 12:42 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Seriously, buy a service manual. The Haynes manual holds your hand, step by step on tons of repairs.
Your clutch system has very few parts that would cause a soft clutch.
Master cylinder
Slave cylinder
Piping between the two
Clutch fork
Clutch

Look for leaks, low fluid level and/or bleed the system. If that doesn't fix it you will need to pull the tranny to inspect the fork and the clutch itself. The Haynes manual covers all this and MUCH more.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
brake, clutch