Bpo - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 28th, 2007, 07:10 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

Bpo

is it me or does the bell housing look just like the classic BPO and therefore the pattern should be very close to a small block GM?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I have wondered the same myself if the bolt pattern on the engine is the same as the BOP's or not. But I don't have the ability to check myself.

Or, you could always track down an early 80's Range Rover automatic. (81-84 I think). They were TF727's that were bought when IH discontinued the Scout II, with an adapter plate to mate to the Rover V8 and LT-230 transfer case.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 28th, 2007, 07:28 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

good idea. I will do some more research. The reason for my question is that a late model truck (totalled) with a 5.3 just kinda landed in my lap for free. I am not abandoning the diesel swap, but I thought I might play with this for a while and it might not be too hard to bolt directly to the 380. No distributer to get wet. more power and the fuel economy couldnt be worse. The bell housing looks BOP to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2007, 07:57 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Plus Advanced Adaptors might have something suitable if necessary.
Old March 29th, 2007, 10:51 AM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

The Small(ist) block Buick does not share the bell housing pattern with it's bigger brothers or anything else for that matter... Unfortunate but true.. Otherwise I'd quit fooling with these silly motors and have a SBC in my truck..

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old March 29th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

What about the V-6's in the Grand Nationals? Aren't they based on the 215, just with 2 less cylinders of bigger size?

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 29th, 2007, 01:43 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

The 225 shares the BOP pattern with the later v8 motors.

"The Buick V6 started its production life in the 1962 Buick Special. It was a 90 degree engine and its first displacement was 196 CID. It was dubbed the "Fireball".

Buick had worked with the innovative 215 aluminum block V8 (later to be an Olds, then ultimately a Rover engine), but it was difficult to build and had its quirks. Buick set its sights on the iron block Fireball. It did not share engine block bolt patterns or engine mount bolt patterns."

Follow-up Post:

More interesting info:
http://www.442spot.com/cpierce/oldsfaq/ofjet.htm

Old March 29th, 2007, 07:00 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

thanks for the info. I think I might pull the tranny/bell housing and take it to the machine shop to see what they think about a conversion.

Follow-up Post:

check out www.marks4wd.com

interesting
Old March 30th, 2007, 09:43 AM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Marks always has some interesting adaptors, In fact they make a bellhousing plate to attach said SBC to a ZF/r380 I have one.. The problem lies in the ZF and the R380 as neither of these trannies are built to withstand the potential torque of the Chevy engine... So in reality you could put in a mellow SBC on the tranny and get away with it but a more highly tuned version would smoke the transmission.. I think the 4hp22 was rated to 340 foot pounds of torque.. that's only about 250 foot pounds... I'll see if I can dig that chart up again on the ZF website.. The R380 is only marginally better..

Old April 2nd, 2007, 06:22 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

The attachment gave me a lot of good insight. Did you get the idea reading it that a newer 3.8 v6 will bolt up? Just curious. Its a little out there, but I turbo grand national defender would be pretty crazy. How about hardened parts and stronger kits for the 380. I see why everbody still has the same crappy motors. Pain in the rear to swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revor
The 225 shares the BOP pattern with the later v8 motors.

"The Buick V6 started its production life in the 1962 Buick Special. It was a 90 degree engine and its first displacement was 196 CID. It was dubbed the "Fireball".

Buick had worked with the innovative 215 aluminum block V8 (later to be an Olds, then ultimately a Rover engine), but it was difficult to build and had its quirks. Buick set its sights on the iron block Fireball. It did not share engine block bolt patterns or engine mount bolt patterns."

Follow-up Post:

More interesting info:
http://www.442spot.com/cpierce/oldsfaq/ofjet.htm
Old April 2nd, 2007, 08:54 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

more thoughts...The factory torque rating on the 5.3 vortec is 335. Is this to much for the 380 to handle in its stock form and is there a build up available for the tranny?

The grand national guys are starting to give me feedback that looks promising according to them regarding that motor bolting up the same as the old ones which means a 3.8 turbo might be an option.

Marks4wd confirmed that they have a plate for the 5.3 to the 380. All of the above can be done without a distributor and therefore can be made virtually waterproof.

Your thoughts please!

I am trying to gain as much info as possible on our other gas powered possibilities also and I want your feedback please. I sure you guys have researched some of this before.

13.4 miles per gallon makes me think about this every day. At least I could have a little power with my lack of economy.

Thanks
Old April 3rd, 2007, 12:25 AM
Shane@EVS
Roverhybrids

If you want to swap out the engine just swap the trans too. you can get adapters for the staple chevy transmissions

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions