Bouncing Odometer - Finally Died - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 7th, 2006, 01:43 AM
Cyborg
Larry Walton
'97 D-90 ST #2066 UK 4X4

mine is fixed finally

The odometer in the speedo of my 97 has not worked for over 2 years.It flickered and jumped all crazy for a year before that. I took mine apart and tried the ribbon cable fix. No luck. I took it to a local speedo shop.... the guy cannibalized a new VDO for the LCD display and installed into mine. I picked it up and hooked it up. It didnt work. The speedo part worked fine like before but not the odometer.

I walked right back in and told the guy.... he hooked his test syrtem up to it....he alligator clipped 12V to connection #2 and gnd to #3 and said that the odomter worked perfect. I decided to take the unit home and see what I could do. He claimed that the speedo part and the odometer display were powered from these same connections. But if the speedo worked when plugged into the vehicle why wouldnt the the odometer??

HMmmm?

I decided to take all of the the trucks wiring out of the equation so as a test I jumpered those connections from the back of the speedo directly to the battery terminals. The odometer worked perfectly.

Now I knew it had to do with the truck wiring somehow. I sprayed some electrical contact cleaner onto the vehicles plug and then tried it again..BINGO!! It worked....so I put a litttle dielectric grease onto the connections and put it all together.

OK so now it is fixed but I am wondering if mine had been merely the connections on the back of the speedo all along and if the speedo guy who didnt check my original speedo on his test rig did unnecessary part replacements?

Anyway guys, moral of the story....if you are having the same problem be sure to clean and check the connections on the back of the speedo before you assume it is internal.
Advertisement

Old November 7th, 2006, 05:43 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Larry,

Thanks alot fror the post!!!!

I didn't post a follow-up to my last post because I was becoming suspicious of the very same thing, but did not have enough evidence. My last "fix" with the flex circuit wasn't reliable, either. However, it seemed just the act of unplugging an re-plugging the back connector helped. Your story would tend to confirm that.

Here's my latest hypothosis: the odometer, being an LCD, uses very little current. However, the plating on the connector is either solder, tin, or silver. These are OK for most automotive uses, as the current flowing through the connection inhibits oxidation.

But if you only have microamps of current, that may not be enough. Usually, gold-plated contacts are used in such a circumstance. Such is not the case here.
Old November 7th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Cyborg
Larry Walton
'97 D-90 ST #2066 UK 4X4

Another update!!

Went out to my truck this AM with the intent to wrap up the loose ends of the instrument cluster. I was looking forward to admiring the functional odometer that I had just fixed. DAMN!! It isnt working AGAIN!! It merely set there overnight and somehow died.

I tried all of the cleaning the connector on the back and then jumpering the two connection on the back directly to the battery...nothing. Speedo working fine as usual...odometer dead.

Took it back to the speedo shop. I will get it back in 3 days...we will try again.

AARRRGGGgggghhh! This is frustrating!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions