bosh vs gems 4.6 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 10th, 2014, 09:50 PM
lordhelemt
Paul
1995 D90 #2620 & NAS 110

bosh vs gems 4.6

Is the conversion the same for a bosh or gems 4.6 into a 14cux defender or does it matter what block you use for the conversion?
RIP 1994 D90 #999 (engine fire 2002). We'll miss you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 10th, 2014, 10:39 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Same with one caveat. Some Bosch have secondary air injection heads. You don't want those. The only short block difference is the welded on crank sensor plate which 14CUX does not use.
Old October 10th, 2014, 10:49 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Bosch and gems motors are 4 bolt mains..14cux is not.., also knock sensor mounting points are missing on 14cux motors.. And crank is different in key way positioning on early to late 14cux motors..95 up had a different key way section once it went to crank mounted oil pump as opposed to distributor drive oil pump..and gems vs Bosch motors have a different camshaft front gear for the sensor..gems had a toothed flywheel vs Bosch had a grooved flywheel and I wanna say gens vs Bosch had a different crank sensor mounting plate... Apart from those they are the same..lol...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 11th, 2014, 01:52 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
Bosch and gems motors are 4 bolt mains..14cux is not.., also knock sensor mounting points are missing on 14cux motors.. And crank is different in key way positioning on early to late 14cux motors..95 up had a different key way section once it went to crank mounted oil pump as opposed to distributor drive oil pump..and gems vs Bosch motors have a different camshaft front gear for the sensor..gems had a toothed flywheel vs Bosch had a grooved flywheel and I wanna say gens vs Bosch had a different crank sensor mounting plate... Apart from those they are the same..lol...
He asked for the difference between GEMS and Bosch. ;-) I noted the one difference between the blocks above. Putting a GEMS 4.6 or a Bosch 4.6 into a 14CUX truck is the same process which has been described repeatedly. I was selling Bosch short and long blocks to people with blown rover motors (14CUX and GEMS) before it was a cool thing to do (ie circa 2002).
Old October 11th, 2014, 05:13 AM
lordhelemt
Paul
1995 D90 #2620 & NAS 110

Thanks, I think....I may have just added another item to my 90 build.
RIP 1994 D90 #999 (engine fire 2002). We'll miss you.
Old October 11th, 2014, 08:43 AM
the rover shop
shayne young

Sorry, had a couple of drinks..lol.... One of my points was.. You can't use a boch short block motor with gems wiring and vice versa..
Old October 11th, 2014, 11:19 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
Sorry, had a couple of drinks..lol.... One of my points was.. You can't use a boch short block motor with gems wiring and vice versa..
Yes you can. All you have to do is drill the small spot welds on the crank position sensor plate on the block and transfer the old plate to the new. Done it a dozen times. Some welded, a couple we even epoxied as it is not structural.
Old October 11th, 2014, 12:53 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Yes you can. All you have to do is drill the small spot welds on the crank position sensor plate on the block and transfer the old plate to the new. Done it a dozen times. Some welded, a couple we even epoxied as it is not structural.

Did this on my D2 .
Used a '97 4.6 and welded the CPS in place.
I was told the 97 4.6 was a better motor than my '04 started with...

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old October 22nd, 2014, 09:17 AM
the rover shop
shayne young

If I recall the cam sensor wheel is different ( I kept getting codes for cam position sensor until I changed the cam wheel.. But if I recall that was going from gems engine to use in a mems system..) and I can't recall when they started tapping holes for knock sensors. didn't have the holes tapped for knock sensors.. Yes, I have replaced the crank sensor plate before and since it's located with the roll pin we just jb welded it in..one recently required grinding the block to let it fit into the recess correctly..
Old October 22nd, 2014, 09:31 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Same with one caveat. Some Bosch have secondary air injection heads. You don't want those. The only short block difference is the welded on crank sensor plate which 14CUX does not use.
I agree with Ron 100% the SAI sucks. I hate it every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old October 22nd, 2014, 09:46 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I have SAI heads off a D2 in my 94 /4.6. Just plugged the holes, works great last 7 years... Why the hate? Seemed like super easy fix...
Old October 22nd, 2014, 03:27 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dro View Post
I agree with Ron 100% the SAI sucks. I hate it every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
Yeah, I don't know what the big deal is..it's a super simple system..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions