bosh vs gems 4.6 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old October 10th, 2014, 09:50 PM
lordhelemt's Avatar
lordhelemt
Status: Offline
Paul
1995 D90 #2620 & NAS 110
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 1,113
bosh vs gems 4.6

Is the conversion the same for a bosh or gems 4.6 into a 14cux defender or does it matter what block you use for the conversion?
__________________
RIP 1994 D90 #999 (engine fire 2002). We'll miss you.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old October 10th, 2014, 10:39 PM
evilfij's Avatar
evilfij
Status: Offline
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: on the internet
Posts: 14,688
Same with one caveat. Some Bosch have secondary air injection heads. You don't want those. The only short block difference is the welded on crank sensor plate which 14CUX does not use.
__________________
*not legal advice*
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old October 10th, 2014, 10:49 PM
the rover shop
Status: Offline
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: ft lauderdale florida
Posts: 5,225
Bosch and gems motors are 4 bolt mains..14cux is not.., also knock sensor mounting points are missing on 14cux motors.. And crank is different in key way positioning on early to late 14cux motors..95 up had a different key way section once it went to crank mounted oil pump as opposed to distributor drive oil pump..and gems vs Bosch motors have a different camshaft front gear for the sensor..gems had a toothed flywheel vs Bosch had a grooved flywheel and I wanna say gens vs Bosch had a different crank sensor mounting plate... Apart from those they are the same..lol...
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old October 11th, 2014, 01:52 AM
evilfij's Avatar
evilfij
Status: Offline
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: on the internet
Posts: 14,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
Bosch and gems motors are 4 bolt mains..14cux is not.., also knock sensor mounting points are missing on 14cux motors.. And crank is different in key way positioning on early to late 14cux motors..95 up had a different key way section once it went to crank mounted oil pump as opposed to distributor drive oil pump..and gems vs Bosch motors have a different camshaft front gear for the sensor..gems had a toothed flywheel vs Bosch had a grooved flywheel and I wanna say gens vs Bosch had a different crank sensor mounting plate... Apart from those they are the same..lol...
He asked for the difference between GEMS and Bosch. ;-) I noted the one difference between the blocks above. Putting a GEMS 4.6 or a Bosch 4.6 into a 14CUX truck is the same process which has been described repeatedly. I was selling Bosch short and long blocks to people with blown rover motors (14CUX and GEMS) before it was a cool thing to do (ie circa 2002).
__________________
*not legal advice*
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old October 11th, 2014, 05:13 AM
lordhelemt's Avatar
lordhelemt
Status: Offline
Paul
1995 D90 #2620 & NAS 110
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 1,113
Thanks, I think....I may have just added another item to my 90 build.
__________________
RIP 1994 D90 #999 (engine fire 2002). We'll miss you.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old October 11th, 2014, 08:43 AM
the rover shop
Status: Offline
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: ft lauderdale florida
Posts: 5,225
Sorry, had a couple of drinks..lol.... One of my points was.. You can't use a boch short block motor with gems wiring and vice versa..
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old October 11th, 2014, 11:19 AM
evilfij's Avatar
evilfij
Status: Offline
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: on the internet
Posts: 14,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
Sorry, had a couple of drinks..lol.... One of my points was.. You can't use a boch short block motor with gems wiring and vice versa..
Yes you can. All you have to do is drill the small spot welds on the crank position sensor plate on the block and transfer the old plate to the new. Done it a dozen times. Some welded, a couple we even epoxied as it is not structural.
__________________
*not legal advice*
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old October 11th, 2014, 12:53 PM
Nomar's Avatar
Nomar
Status: Offline
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Central,Virginia
Posts: 4,288
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Yes you can. All you have to do is drill the small spot welds on the crank position sensor plate on the block and transfer the old plate to the new. Done it a dozen times. Some welded, a couple we even epoxied as it is not structural.

Did this on my D2 .
Used a '97 4.6 and welded the CPS in place.
I was told the 97 4.6 was a better motor than my '04 started with...


.
__________________


Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old October 22nd, 2014, 09:17 AM
the rover shop
Status: Offline
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: ft lauderdale florida
Posts: 5,225
If I recall the cam sensor wheel is different ( I kept getting codes for cam position sensor until I changed the cam wheel.. But if I recall that was going from gems engine to use in a mems system..) and I can't recall when they started tapping holes for knock sensors. didn't have the holes tapped for knock sensors.. Yes, I have replaced the crank sensor plate before and since it's located with the roll pin we just jb welded it in..one recently required grinding the block to let it fit into the recess correctly..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old October 22nd, 2014, 09:31 AM
The Dro
Status: Offline
Dro
1988 Ninety
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Annandale, VA
Posts: 6,682
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Same with one caveat. Some Bosch have secondary air injection heads. You don't want those. The only short block difference is the welded on crank sensor plate which 14CUX does not use.
I agree with Ron 100% the SAI sucks. I hate it every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
__________________
Mine is NTO... It was new, Now I'm Taking it Off.
Quote:
Online speculation will not replace onsite inspection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old October 22nd, 2014, 09:46 AM
Davis's Avatar
Davis
Status: Offline
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,500
I have SAI heads off a D2 in my 94 /4.6. Just plugged the holes, works great last 7 years... Why the hate? Seemed like super easy fix...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old October 22nd, 2014, 03:27 PM
the rover shop
Status: Offline
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: ft lauderdale florida
Posts: 5,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dro View Post
I agree with Ron 100% the SAI sucks. I hate it every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
Yeah, I don't know what the big deal is..it's a super simple system..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bosh VE injection pump dogbite Wanted 2 June 27th, 2011 08:11 PM
gems unit d90boy Wanted 10 October 28th, 2008 10:19 PM
WTB: 4.6 short block GEMS fleabus Wanted 0 March 23rd, 2008 04:30 PM
97 D-90 Gems Ecu Engine Management JPRO576 For Sale - Parts 1 January 21st, 2008 07:17 PM
GEMS or Bosch boxerhips Defender Technical Discussions 34 January 5th, 2006 05:25 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:43 AM.


Copyright