Bosch VE Gauge - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 5th, 2016, 10:04 PM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
I'm still confused about the lack of knowledge on the pumps. Every VW/Audi for 10 years. Every Cummins diesel for a decade. I can't imagine any diesel shop not having a huge amount of experience with them.

Robert Bosch VE-type Injection Pump
Unfortunately not the case... Last Cummins 6BT to have a VE pump was in 1993 (1989 to 1993 production run), and the last VW sold in the USA with a VE was the 1992 VW 1.6. The US did not get the 1993-1996 AAZ 1.9 diesel VW that we got in Canada, and the next diesel available was the TDI in 1997 or so, with the VP44 based pump.

I'm not surprised that local shops don't see many of them. There is one guy I am aware of that really knows them inside and out, Giles at Performance Diesel:

performancediesel.ca

He does mechanical TDI conversions on VW engines and all kinds of adaptations, and gets pumps shipped in from all over. Very reasonable, and especially with the dollar being low currently, a bargain for the US guys.

Reading the rest of the thread, I think Dave is on the right track, the timing would not have slipped by just sitting in the shop... Must be something else going on.

Could you have a plugged return line or a bad filter? Fuel supply restrictions will affect timing on a VE pump.
Diesel-swapped 1994 80 series Land-cruiser
And a difflocked 4wd turbodiesel Lambo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 2016, 06:48 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Yes, that's turned pretty far out. Is the tamper proof collar still on the max fuel screw on the back of the pump ?
There's a black plastic collar but it is cracked and spinning around not doing anything that I can tell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3709521440.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	466.8 KB
ID:	148905  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 6th, 2016, 06:48 AM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostChord View Post
lol - that has been taken care of (famous last words) i'll pm you Clay - sorry I had a hijack in your Bosch VE thread
np, more info the better some times

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 2016, 06:55 AM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilburner View Post
Unfortunately not the case... Last Cummins 6BT to have a VE pump was in 1993 (1989 to 1993 production run), and the last VW sold in the USA with a VE was the 1992 VW 1.6. The US did not get the 1993-1996 AAZ 1.9 diesel VW that we got in Canada, and the next diesel available was the TDI in 1997 or so, with the VP44 based pump. I'm not surprised that local shops don't see many of them. There is one guy I am aware of that really knows them inside and out, Giles at Performance Diesel: performancediesel.ca He does mechanical TDI conversions on VW engines and all kinds of adaptations, and gets pumps shipped in from all over. Very reasonable, and especially with the dollar being low currently, a bargain for the US guys. Reading the rest of the thread, I think Dave is on the right track, the timing would not have slipped by just sitting in the shop... Must be something else going on. Could you have a plugged return line or a bad filter? Fuel supply restrictions will affect timing on a VE pump.
Interesting you mention filter. Possible. Pic below is what came with the engine. #buyerbeware
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3524558702.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	562.7 KB
ID:	148906  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bosch