Boogered turbo and engine? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 4th, 2015, 11:34 AM
Benhameen
Ben
1995 Defender 110

Boogered turbo and engine?

I have a 95 110 300tdi. I was driving up from Accra (I live in Ghana) to my town, Bolgatanga (a pretty rough 500 miles) when, just after leaving Accra, I noticed an unusual sound coming from the turbo. I got out and noticed a noticeable amount of oil just below the junction for the hose from turbo to intercooler. Thinking maybe the hose had come loose or blown a hole, I removed it for inspection. It was very oily, so I cleaned and refitted it. Turbo continued making the shrill noise for the next 400 miles (not many knowledgeable mechanics in our neck of the woods) until another problem altogether forced me to seek out a mechanic. After sorting the other problem, I asked him to take a look at the turbo. There is now A LOT of oil blowing through the turbo and a lot of vapor blowing out the breather cap (was not there before this), a little play in the turbo impeller, and significant white smoke at the exhaust. He is now saying i need to buy a new used engine (about $1000). Any ideas? Could this be a head gasket problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2015, 11:41 AM
javelinadave
-
-

$1000 for a new 300Tdi! Holy Moses!!
Are you getting oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil?
If you take the oil cap off with the motor running does it open up like it is pressurized?
That would be a head gasket.
A shrilly noise sounds like a bad bearing or impeller in the turbo.
Old September 4th, 2015, 12:41 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
$1000 for a new 300Tdi! Holy Moses!! Are you getting oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil? If you take the oil cap off with the motor running does it open up like it is pressurized? That would be a head gasket. A shrilly noise sounds like a bad bearing or impeller in the turbo.

He means replacement used ... Not new!
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2015, 12:45 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Be very cautious with that. He may want the engine, himself.

Had that happen to the mom of a friend of mine just a few years ago. She had a 64 Mustang all original low miles. He usually did the work on it but he was out of town. She had an issue and took it to some shop. Shop said she needed a new engine and replaced it with a crappy rebuilt.

When he returned two weeks later, she described the problem which he diagnosed from the conversation. Paid mechanic a visit. Mechanic had sold the engine to someone else for a significant mark up to someone else who was restoring another 64.

I think the mechanic was also hoping she would sell him the whole car.
Old September 4th, 2015, 12:51 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
your turbo seal on the compresison side has failed. Seriously doubt it's the engine itself. your getting oil out of the oil fill cap because the engine blowby is loaded with more oil than the cyclone can remove, which is filling the sump and crank.

get a new or rebuilt turbo and make sure that the intercooler gets cleaned out with all the oil that was put in it over that 400 miles. I'm sure there's probably at least a quart in there. Get this replaced before you end up with a runaway engine from that oil vapor, then you will have a boat anchor.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old September 4th, 2015, 12:58 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Description does not necessarily mean a turbo. It is certainly not a compressor seal leak if it is as that would not produce any smoke. There could be a compressor seal leak, but there is not enough information to come to that conclusion.

Sounds like a head gasket from the high blowby. Does it sound like exhaust noise with the oil filler off? Oil in the intake is normal.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old September 4th, 2015, 01:15 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Oil dripping from your intercooler hose would be from oil leaking past the piston ring on the compressor side, either from wear in that area, or a restricted oil return line preventing oil from draining from the housing.
With the engine off remove the hose from the compressor housing and inspect the compressor wheel and housing. See if you can see if the fins have been rubbing on the housing. That could be the squeal you heard.

White smoke would be either from unburned diesel passing through the engine, faulty injection pump or injectors, or it could be from coolant getting in to the combustion chamber.

What was the exact reason he said you need a replacement engine?

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine