Bonnet Spare Wheel Mount + 5-bar Plate? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 5th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Miller
Jon Miller
'85 ROW 110 SW

Registry
Bonnet Spare Wheel Mount + 5-bar Plate?

I've got a bonnet spare wheel carrier enroute and a Mammouth 5-bar bonnet plate in the garage. I'd like to install both of them my bonnet, but I was wondering if anyone else has had, or tried, both and if there are any issues. Does anyone know if the 3mm thick 5-bar plate will interfere with proper operation of the spare wheel mount? I don't see how it would, but I wanted to check and see before drilling. I was thinking that the 5-bar plate would help strengthen the bonnet under the weight of the spare.

- Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 5th, 2012, 09:52 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

The UK MoD fit the plate to (some) of the refurbished Tithonous rovers. just drill the necessary holes through (3 for the main "prongs" of the wheel holder, the 3 small bolts that holt it in place, and the 4 rubbers)

job done, and like you say, will help to stop the bonnet from flexing and cracking.
Old September 5th, 2012, 10:24 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
I have done this to mine and it greatly reduces the flex in my bonnet. I can take pics if you need them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 5th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I have both on mine. no issues.
Old September 5th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Miller
Jon Miller
'85 ROW 110 SW

Registry
Thanks guys. I have the Mammouth wingtop protector plates installed with the neoprene gaskets. I'd like to do the same for the bonnet plate, but have been unable to find such a gasket. I may end up making my own if I can find a sheet of neoprene. Has anyone else done this or used another material, or just installed the plate without any barrier?

- Jon
Old September 11th, 2012, 12:19 AM
doscazadores
Vic Stull
none

I've always wondered about the flex that occurs with the tire loaded on the bonnet. Does it ever do any permanent damage over time?
Old September 11th, 2012, 02:14 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Yup, the bonnet cracks at the front, and ends up bowed "inwards", and each time you slam it shut it cracks a little more.

Still looks good though!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
mount, spare, wheel