Bonnet Release Issue - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 18th, 2016, 03:15 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Bonnet Release Issue

The 110 had homemade release for the bonnet. It was an extension handle welded onto the original release from the original grill. It was "fabricated" when AC was added and the push out grill.

The handle snapped off today and now if I close the bonnet I don't know how I will be able to open it. Is there a way to release it with a screwdriver or any other idea?

Thanks,
Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 18th, 2016, 04:30 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Remove it and install something proper.
A hood jammed closed is a pain in the @$$.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 18th, 2016, 05:25 PM
DC_Bear
Bear
1984 Nintey

Registry
I don't have any inspired ideas, but can you remove the broken latch and weld on a new extension?

While my bonnet latch works (mostly) the lock does not. If you happen to find a vendor selling the lock / latch / release arm mechanism let me know, please.
Old October 18th, 2016, 06:01 PM
chuckc4
chuck b

Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias View Post
The 110 had homemade release for the bonnet. It was an extension handle welded onto the original release from the original grill. It was "fabricated" when AC was added and the push out grill.

The handle snapped off today and now if I close the bonnet I don't know how I will be able to open it. Is there a way to release it with a screwdriver or any other idea?

Thanks,
Alex
You could pull off the grill and add an extension to the wire that goes to the mechanism so you could release from the front of the vehicle. you would have to route the cable so you were not pulling perpendicular to the front of the Defender.
Old October 18th, 2016, 06:06 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Put a loop in the wire. Then pull on the loop. Mine has been this way for years.
Old October 18th, 2016, 06:17 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Alex do you have a cable release or a manual release, sounds like you have the early manual lever release and not the cable.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions