Bonnet mounted tire: Risky? - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 26th, 2014, 07:46 PM
Arlo
Kurt Ohlendorf
1997/130CC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
All the talk about risk of it flying into the passenger compartment. Show some actual proof or cited study that says that's why NAS vehicles don't have them mounted there. Come on guys. Throwing it on the roof is safer? Maybe for you but not for other victims. People mount all manner of shit to the outside of the vehicles from stupid awnings to pointless axes and shovels and rusty hi-lift jacks that never get used and we're concerned about the tire flying off the bonnet into the windshield. We do not live in final destination.
When you will be stopped by a tree or other hindrances, the bonnet will be forced forwards. This causes a ripped off bonnet from the bulkhead.
I never have heard about a damaged passenger compartment causing the bonnet mounted spare wheel.

But I have read several roll overs because the spare wheel was on top of the roof!
And it's not pure fun to get it there or remove it from this position back to the ground.
Advertisement

Old July 26th, 2014, 08:18 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Let's get this right. Anyone who opens the bonnet with the spare in place is asking for it. Take the tire off before opening the bonnet. With the proper hardware it is perfectly fine secure and not going anywhere.
I say go for it. Honestly there isn't that much reason not to. As for not being able to see over it, meh, it isn't so bad.

------ Follow up post added July 26th, 2014 08:20 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlo View Post
When you will be stopped by a tree or other hindrances, the bonnet will be forced forwards. This causes a ripped off bonnet from the bulkhead.
I never have heard about a damaged passenger compartment causing the bonnet mounted spare wheel.

But I have read several roll overs because the spare wheel was on top of the roof!
And it's not pure fun to get it there or remove it from this position back to the ground.
Honestly dood the tire will be the least of it in that situation.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old July 26th, 2014, 09:09 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Ran this way for 8 years as my daily driver and loved it. Only recently installed a rear tire carrier and moved primary spare to rear, so I can get a little more visibility on technical trails and to be able to put my trasharoo in the back. When I start doing longer trips, I'll get a second spare and run it back on the bonnet mount as required for those trips. 255/85/16. Never had any visibility in traffic at all.

I would not want the weight of a tire on my roof rack, especially mine with the tent, and empty fuel cans' up there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Post tranny install.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	99479  

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 26th, 2014, 09:15 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
255/85/16. Never had any visibility in traffic at all.
So the 255 is nice and heavy (as I know) - any issues opening the hood with it on there?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old July 26th, 2014, 09:33 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
So the 255 is nice and heavy (as I know) - any issues opening the hood with it on there?
not for me. But I would recommend doing away with the bonnet spring and cable latch all together, and going with military latches on the exterior. With the spare on, you can't unlock the hood with the cable latch due to the weight on the latch. I kept it for years only for security reasons in questionable areas, but otherwise, I kept a little vise grip on the latch in the cab to keep it pulled out.

I've ripped out the cable latch. I'd like to still add an older style bonnet lock on the breakfast, which I'll do if I can find the measurements of where to install it.

Old July 27th, 2014, 07:57 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Been running 255/85/16 on the bonnet since 1998. So used to it it's a no brainer. Simple trick to release the cable latch - pull the latch and put the cigarette lighter behind the handle so it doesn't return, then go and open the hood. After closing the hood just pull out the lighter.
Old July 27th, 2014, 08:08 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post

Open with momentum both hands, lock off one arm, with the other hand (as in hammer fist) knock off the hood prop from it's clip and use the prop to aid with the weight while you leverage it into position.
Old July 27th, 2014, 09:30 AM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
I will tell you it hinders sight a lot on technical sections.. And it stops a lot of airflow through the fresh air vents.
Exactly. When doing technical off road driving I want to see what my front right tyre is approaching. After a couple of close calls caused by the bonnet mounted spare being in my line of sight I move the tyre elsewhere when I'm in anything remotely technical.

And by the way the Series deluxe dished bonnet only lowers the tyre down an inch at best.

I think if I had a Defender and wanted to bonnet mount a spare tyre I would check a Wolf bonnet first to see what difference there might be between a MoD wolf bonnet and a civilian bonnet.

When I'm on the tarmac my spare is usually bonnet mounted. The spare is a 255/85R16 BFG mud terrain mounted on a Disco I steel wheel. And yes I can lift the bonnet. So if a woman can do it I'm sure you men can manage. One thing I did do was remove the stock bonnet latch and replace it with military bonnet latches. It is easier to pop the bonnet when you are not trying to fool around with the stock latch at the same time. I also went with the military hold down straps for the bonnet mounted spare. I find that the straps eliminates most of the spare shaking which could lead to eventual metal fatigue.

And yes the tyre severely inhibits airflow through the scuttle vents.

And by the way, there seems to be a number of Defender folks know how to speak English.

Hood = a soft top that fits over the cockpit when there is no fixed top.

Bonnet = The sheet metal thing that fits over the engine and sits between the two front wings.

Scuttle = That strip of metal that goes between the bonnet and the windscreen. In cars there is a rear scuttle which is the strip of metal that goes between the rear window and the boot lid.

Scuttle vent = the air vents placed on the scuttle.

Honestly, sometimes I don't think Defender folks even know the difference between a hood stick and a bonnet prop.

Old July 27th, 2014, 11:11 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
FWIW, I have an antennae mounted on my ARB right over the front tire. Using the antennae, I was always able to tell where my tire was going to end up on technical trails with my tire on the bonnet. So that was the lowest ranking issue driving my installation of a rear carrier.

Old August 2nd, 2014, 08:33 PM
toad
Cutter
None

If anybody with a bonnet mounted spare could snap a picture of the underside of the bonnet assembly I'd appreciate it. My 110 has one that I have off as the top assembly doesn't seem attached to the frame but just to the sheet metal. On my series the thing is planted but on the 110 it wobbles. I think there might be some components missing. I'd post a pic but my bonnet is covered with parts while I rehab the tub.

I'm planning on keeping the spare there, nice skinny ROW wheels and pretty used to having it there. Better aerodynamics too, right...
Old August 2nd, 2014, 08:35 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

How can you possibly mess up the aerodynamics of a brick..
Old August 2nd, 2014, 08:52 PM
toad
Cutter
None

Yeah I only said it because that's a pretty common (laughable) point that I've read in my years of series ownership. With 60 hp we want as little drag as possible!
Old August 13th, 2014, 07:47 AM
leeds
Brendan
1996/110 TDi

Well I run our 96 110 TDi with both a rear mounted swing away wheel carrier and on more remote trips a bonnet mounted spare

Use 255/85/16 BFG MT. Using an old Series bonnet with original fitting kit. Bonnet has been reinforced with 3 mm chequer plate. On a 25,000 mile trip around the Australian bush some of the pop rivets holding the chequer plate down. OK to see my near side front corner I have to lean to the left (RHD/LHT vehicle) but not a major issue.

Ensure you have a one piece bonnet strut and not the folding ones.

If you are doing a technical section, walking the section first and/or having a spotter should solve most problems.

Tyre plugs are illegal for road use in the UK and are an emergency solution which works well but they tend to come out at very low temperatures such as -20C

It is possible to use an inner tube in a tubeless tyre if you can not readily repair it. OK not a permanent solution as the rougher inside of the tubeless tyre will rub through an inner tube but if it gets you 100+ miles to safety does it matter?

Brendan
Old August 13th, 2014, 09:23 AM
byrnecc
Conor
1986 ex-mod 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeds View Post
Tyre plugs are illegal for road use in the UK and are an emergency solution which works well but they tend to come out at very low temperatures such as -20C
No kidding? I've always had my tires plugged here with no problems and used to drive in Canada a fair amount in the winters on them.
Old August 13th, 2014, 09:35 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeds View Post

Brendan
Can't find anything to confirm that tire plugs in the UK are illegal. But what a great line to spew out at a customer and make more profit by selling a new tyre/tire

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old August 13th, 2014, 09:37 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Tire plugs always seem to leak in my experience. We only do patch-plugs at the dealership.
Old August 13th, 2014, 11:20 AM
leeds
Brendan
1996/110 TDi

In the UK tyres should be repaired to the following standard BS AU 159.

According to the British Tyre Manufacturers Association the following is an extract from BS AU 159

Quote:

d) The following ‘repair’ methods are not recognised as acceptable:-
* Liquid sealants.
* Plugs applied externally to fitted tyres.
* Inner tubes fitted to tubeless tyres.
* Inner tubes fitted to ‘tube type’ tyres which have
sustained penetrations and which have not been
repaired in accordance with BS AU 159.
* Temporary repairs.

OK I plead guilty to using the term 'not legal' rather then 'not recognised as an acceptable repair'.

According to Bushranger their sticky string repair kits are an emergency repair and that the puncture should be repaired professionally as soon as possible.

Brendan
Old August 13th, 2014, 10:48 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
If this is what you want...looks risky to me. http://instagram.com/p/rqMTajHBjf/
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old August 13th, 2014, 11:53 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Just do like I do and wrap your winch cable around your spare a few times so when it flys off you can just reel it back in. Oh and that is a 255/85 on a Wolf rim and I check my oil all the time no problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VOT 1.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	100823  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
mount, tire