bonnet / hood alignment - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 19th, 2005, 09:35 AM
John Casteel
1961 Series IIa
bonnet / hood alignment

I've asked before but it's been awhile.

Has anybody successfully raised the back of their hood. On many of the Defenders, mine included, there is about a 1 inch gap at the front of the hood and the rear of the hood rubs on the wings. I wouldn't care except that I've rubbed through the paint and am concerned that I could rub a hole in the aluminum wing.

I've tried flipping the plastic hinge inserts which raised the hood only slightly. I've looked to see if the hinge is adjustable but it appears to be riveted in place.

One other option is to take a crow bar and try to bend the hinges up but I'm hesitant to do that.

Any suggestions?

1961 Series IIa 24100020a
2010 Surly Steamroller
1995 Red D90 (Sold)
Old December 27th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Mike Finn
Green Machine
1995 D90

I noticed that the gaps between the bonnet and the wings are not consistant on mine neither. I plan on looking into this soon. If I figure anything out, I'll post it.

Old December 27th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Chris Davis
94 D90, 88 RRC
The hinge, as you suspect, is not adjustable and is actually welded in place. The rub you are refering too is pretty darn common and not a lot you can do. I jumped on my wing to lower it a little (hahaha) which is not a factory recommendation. You can lower the wing a little at the risk of it not aligning with the doors by loosening all the bolts inside against the firewall but I would not since (a) it might not work and (b) it might not work. You can reweld the hinges if you want to repaint your firewall in that area (I have done this--I could not get them any higher since they are bordering on the air vent) but mine still rub even after this.

I am of the opinion, after spending a lot of time on this issue, that you are hosed.
Old December 27th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Stephen Whitaker
1994 D-90
One thought that might work if you are lucky is to fashion a custom hinge insert where the slot is not quite so deep so you can gain a little more height to the back of the bonnet, or perhaps you could place a little spacer in the slot on the present insert to give a little more height. Let us know if you come up with a solution.
Old December 28th, 2005, 08:24 AM
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles
Why not shave the rubber bushing down that's in the hinges?
Old December 28th, 2005, 12:54 PM
jim pendleton
Why not have the piece that is bolted to the hood as a hinge, surfaced to be thiner?

legend in my own mind

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

alignment, hood