Bonnet Decal a.k.a. DON'T HATE ME BECAUSE I'M VAIN - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 23rd, 2012, 10:38 PM
curry
brandon curry
Series 1 and 110.

Registry
Bonnet Decal a.k.a. DON'T HATE ME BECAUSE I'M VAIN

I apologize for having to ask this question, however am curious about the "LAND ROVER" bonnet lettering. I've seen trucks with the older style hood add lettering on the hood. If I were to follow suit, would the lettering on the Puma hoods fit my NAS hood appropriately? Are there any better options? Seems like the lettering is too tall to fit well on the NAS hood.

Are Disco II and Freelander lettering is the same size? Is there a sexy aftermarket option?

STOCK:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3061 (Medium).jpg
Views:	532
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	61423

AFTERMARKET?

Name:	blue300tdi_011_pow0_yft3.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	61425
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2012, 10:50 PM
curry
brandon curry
Series 1 and 110.

Registry
Upon closer inspection, the lettering on the shorter second decal appears not to be raised. Disco I...?
Old November 23rd, 2012, 10:58 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by curry View Post
Is there a sexy aftermarket ?
Do what you want to your rig, but since you asked...no. Stickering up your Rover is like adding a bunch of tramp stamps.
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2012, 10:59 PM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

I used a Disco 1 version because I wanted black lettering. It's not raised. The font seems taller than the ones in your pictures. I think the Disco II version is slightly raised, but not as much as the Puma version. There are knock offs out there too, so pay attention to the font if you want a genuine look.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	61426  
Old November 23rd, 2012, 11:03 PM
curry
brandon curry
Series 1 and 110.

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
Stickering up your Rover is like adding a bunch of tramp stamps.
Wait until you see the flaming ying-yangs, dragons and sparkling wizard stickers I have in store next. Oh, almost forgot about the big butterfly on the back windshield too...
Old November 23rd, 2012, 11:11 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by curry View Post
Wait until you see the flaming ying-yangs, dragons and sparkling wizard stickers I have in store next. Oh, almost forgot about the big butterfly on the back windshield too...
Hope you enjoy them every day.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 11:17 PM
curry
brandon curry
Series 1 and 110.

Registry
Quote:
Hope you enjoy them every day.
Not as much as my teddy bear wheels.

Name:	7058887_86ed34afb2_z.jpg
Views:	628
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	61427
Old November 24th, 2012, 07:33 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Way over stated, I like the small letters that came from the factory.
Old November 24th, 2012, 08:49 AM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Quote:
Do what you want to your rig, but since you asked...no. Stickering up your Rover is like adding a bunch of tramp stamps.
Depends on how the owner sees it I guess. Personally I've never understood why an owner would add decals from various parts manufacturers that they have purchased parts from or retailers UNLESS the company represented on the sticker is sponsoring the vehicle with free or discounted stuff in order for the vehicle to carry advertising. But some people love to put those stickers on their vehicles for nothing in return. Personally I've received a lot of decals that came with stuff I purchased for my truck all of which got tossed with the packaging.

BUT there are a few stickers that have adorned my Land Rover over the years.

My Land Rover was sponsored by the late British Pacific Land Rover parts retailer for a tad over 13 years. During those years British Pacific has kept my Land Rover shod in BFG Mud Terrains and have provided my truck with at least $2000 worth of free parts and gas money when I was sent to LR meets to represent BP. In return my truck carried large custom British Pacific decals, I passed out paper catalogues back when they had paper catalogues and was their representative at a number of LR gatherings. My truck was well paid to carry big BP stickers. But all good things come to an end sometime and with the current recession BP stopped sponsoring my truck and last year I purchased my first set of tyres since the mid 1990's (OUCH! Them puppies are expensive).

I feel event stickers are legitimate as well if your truck participated in the event. My truck participated in one of the Border to border society marathon trips from Canada to Mexico. I got the event stickers which stayed with the truck for about 2 years afterwords.

I was on a trip through the AZ desert in mid 1998 and somehow my truck ended up on display at the Scottsdale LR dealer during their 50th year anniversary party. So a LR 50th anniversary plaque ended up adorning my tail gate. Likely the very first time my truck ever set on a LR dealer show room floor.

And I've never argued with club affiliation stickers. Most people like to feel that they belong to something. My truck has an old Lazy Buggers badge on the front from the mendo recce email group and an Arizona Land Rover club badge on a back window.

Then there are the factory Land Rover stickers & badges like the original poster wants to put on his truck to help the public identify it. I'm not sure why anyone would object to those.

My truck is a Series II (not A). I have added a Series II badge on my tail gate that was issued for a Discovery II. Right colour badge and it tells people I have a Series II Land Rover.

When my truck was converted to a V8, I added Land Rover V8 badges in the same location as the NAS spec Defenders have theirs.

Over the years I have met a lot of people who have asked me for my LR web site's URL so about 4 years ago I added a sticker to my LR with the URL.

Then of course there are the stock black front and rear Land Rover oval badges and the Dormobile badges.

Bottom line is that we all have our own reasons for having badges & stickers on our trucks. Be it for sponsorship or advertising a favored product, event required badges, to show an affiliation, to show where you and your truck have gone or just for fun. As long as it has a positive meaning to the owner the sticker is good.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GRleftFillers98.JPEG
Views:	196
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	61431   Click image for larger version

Name:	GRsnow.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	61432  

Name:	GRLazybugger98.JPEG
Views:	151
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	61433   Click image for larger version

Name:	NewWing.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	61434  

Name:	GRzion08lt.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	61435  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old November 24th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

You can find both factory and aftermarket emblems/stickers on Ebay UK. I purchased some NLA sticker for the Defender that turned up to be a pretty good quality.
Old November 24th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Rommel
Rolf
94/95/97 Many

Blue

Where is the Blue one for 19,9 ??????
Old November 24th, 2012, 11:10 AM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Will those teddy bear wheels fit
Jking

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old November 24th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
Where is the Blue one for 19,9 ??????
Don't know, but somebody may want to look into the spacing on the front tires. Looks like they're rubbing on the shock tower.
Old November 24th, 2012, 11:37 AM
grnrvrs
Paul

The op asked for an opinion about aesthetics. IMO, stickers detract from the aesthetic of a Land Rover. If the OP or any other wants to add some number of stickers to their own rig, so be it.

If the op wants to put butterflies and Teddy bears on his, so be it, there's a special thread for that.
Old November 24th, 2012, 12:32 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

The newer puma (Bulged bonnet) decals will just fit into a regular (pre bulged bonnet). I had a set on my 110.

They are grey in colour, and raised, by quite a bit, 3 or 4mm.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_2229.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	61437  
Old November 24th, 2012, 01:41 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

The later bonnets (the puma bulged ones) are slightly taller at the front... maybe 1/4" or so, not much, but enough that if you fit the later letters onto an early bonnet (as mine is above), then the top of the letters are almost not flush enough... almost but not enough that you'd catch them with a sponge or cleaning brush.
Old November 24th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by curry

Not as much as my teddy bear wheels.
Pedobear wheels!

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old November 24th, 2012, 02:37 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Skip the raised letters all together and get the old school "Land Rover 90" decal in the 2nd pic Jeff posted.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old January 4th, 2013, 10:15 AM
curry
brandon curry
Series 1 and 110.

Registry
Well I ended up ordering the OEM Land Rover bonnet decal from the UK. After back and forth debates with myself, I ended up putting it on. No regrets. The lower NAS "LAND ROVER" decal was also replaced with "DEFENDER". I think the badges fit great and give me the look I was going for.

I realize this is a touchy subject for people and I thank you for your opinions and honesty. This is a superfluous upgrade that I wanted and am pleased with the results. May not be for everybody and I get that.

I'm not trying to pass my truck off as a current gen model either. I just think the decals give the truck that pizazz is was needing. Plus, it goes with my teddy bear wheels...

Name:	IMG_2057.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	63789

Name:	IMG_2058.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	63790
Old January 4th, 2013, 10:26 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

What are you going to do with the old letters?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions