Bonnet Chequer Plate Protector? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

View Poll Results: Wing top and Bonnet Chequer plate protectors. Yes or No
Go with the black bonnet protector an wing tops 19 42.22%
Just stick with the black wing tops and no bonnet protector 16 35.56%
I dont like wing top protectors or bonnet protectors 10 22.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 9th, 2008, 11:59 PM
SOUTHPAW26
Kelly
1994 D90-1993 NAS 110#280

Bonnet Chequer Plate Protector?

Decisions, Decisions......... I am trying to decide if I want to put a bonnet protector on my 110. I was going to add it in with the black wing tops. I really like the way they look and I think the black on the white will really look nice. The only thing that I hate about it is that I will have to drill alot of holes in my bonnet. Which I think kinda sucks. So I would really like everyones opinions before I decide on this one. Any input would help me greatly. Thanks for your help guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 10th, 2008, 12:54 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
If you must do it, buy a beat up bonnet from someone. You may like it now, but I think you'll grow to dislike it. Plus if I was buying a truck with a bonnet plate, I'd want a discount for the ruined bonnet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old July 10th, 2008, 01:07 AM
SOUTHPAW26
Kelly

I had a friend suggest an idea but I am not so sure that it is practical. He suggested that I use 3m double side tape all the way around the edge and some in the middle to hold it down. I am not sure that it would hold it down good but he seems to think that it would. It might considering they use it to hold on body mouldings on all the time. I totally agree Jim, I would hate to have to drill all those holes in the bonnet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 10th, 2008, 01:14 AM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

I would be a bit concerned of the plate flying off at the worst time on the highway without much warning although if that could be done it would be ideal.

It's a matter of taste for some in terms of the aesthetic value or "look" of the truck.

For me the plate serves a functional value, ie it strengthens the bonnet so if someone stands on it, it won't buckle. The bonnet is not that thick and the bracket although serving some structural support won't prevent buckling or denting. The plate will protect it.

Does anyone know if the bonnet is aluminum or steel????
Old July 10th, 2008, 01:24 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The bonnet is aluminum skin on a steel frame. My policy is no one stands on my bonnet. I definitely wouldn't stick it down with trim tape - yeah, it will probably hold, but its not exactly going to be removable. You'd probably dent the skin trying to remove it.

Old July 10th, 2008, 06:56 AM
lrnasd90
J. Landers
1983 110 LHD Galvanized Everything

This is a picture with my bonnet protector install on my D90. I personally walked on it all the time with no ill affects. Made getting stuff on and off the roof rack much easier. Plus I think it looked really cool. And it gives you an idea of what it would look like on alpine white with a full external roll cage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1994_NAS_D90_tdi 288_r.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	14290  
Old July 10th, 2008, 07:03 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
At least the protector that goes in the center looks much better than the one that covers the whole thing.

Old July 10th, 2008, 07:13 AM
lrnasd90
J. Landers

I don't like the full bonnet protector, plus the bonnet would be heavy as hell.
Old July 10th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

After I got done putting my project d90 together including a bonnet I got from RDS, I noticed the skin on the bonnet was wavey Bonnet protector was my opton for hiding the issue and it works well for that.
Old July 10th, 2008, 08:27 AM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

If your hood is perfect don't do it. I have a hood on my 110 that isn't if you want to trade.
Old July 10th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Kelly, if you like the look but don't want the holes, use a decal. I had one on my white 90 and it worked fine for cutting down the glare. I may even have the extra one I bought laying around somewhere.
Old July 10th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I love the bonnet protector look and functionality. I walk on my bonnet and wings all the time. the protectors make them very sturdy. I couldn't wait to drill into my bonnet, but each his own. The 3M taping down the protectors is the worst idea I have ever heard (no offense intended Kelly to your friend). I think weathering would cause it to fly off on the road or freeway and could potentially kill someone. Your auto insurance wouldn't be a fan of it either.
Old July 10th, 2008, 10:59 AM
SOUTHPAW26
Kelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
At least the protector that goes in the center looks much better than the one that covers the whole thing.
This is the protector that I am talking about. I did not know that they made anything other than just a center protector. I can imagine that if they make a full hood protector that would not look good at all.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier
Kelly, if you like the look but don't want the holes, use a decal. I had one on my white 90 and it worked fine for cutting down the glare. I may even have the extra one I bought laying around somewhere.
Chris what do you mean by decal? What does it look like.
Old July 10th, 2008, 11:07 AM
steve mez
Steve Mez
1995 NAS D90

i have a black one on my yellow d90 and its bad ass, my friends think it completes the truck, becuase its all yellow and black. i am not sure how it look on a white d110. the white d90 pic looks good on it. it is a hard choice. plus when it's ON, ITS ON. you cant take it off. i did it becuase my paint on the middle of my hood was dull, and the rest of the d90 was perfect, so it was a must for me, and it was cheap too...
Old July 10th, 2008, 11:16 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Steve post some pics!
Old July 10th, 2008, 11:24 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHPAW26
This is the protector that I am talking about. I did not know that they made anything other than just a center protector. I can imagine that if they make a full hood protector that would not look good at all.

Follow-up Post:

Chris what do you mean by decal? What does it look like.
This is the decal! Thick vinyl Look great, but i found mine used 6 months ago.
Kinda tough to see front this angle!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_21490003.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	14292  
Old July 10th, 2008, 11:24 AM
SOUTHPAW26
Kelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrnasd90
This is a picture with my bonnet protector install on my D90. I personally walked on it all the time with no ill affects. Made getting stuff on and off the roof rack much easier. Plus I think it looked really cool. And it gives you an idea of what it would look like on alpine white with a full external roll cage.
Do you happen to recall how many holes had to be drilled to mount it? Also where did you get yours and was the quality good?
Old July 10th, 2008, 11:30 AM
steve mez
Steve Mez
1995 NAS D90

i think its 16 drill holes, ill get pics tonight... im at work
Old July 10th, 2008, 11:35 AM
SOUTHPAW26
Kelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve mez
i think its 16 drill holes, ill get pics tonight... im at work
I would appreciate that. I like polls and comments because it helps me greatly and it is easy for someone in the future that is trying to decide the same thing to be able to go back and view a poll and comments to help them decide. Thank you everyone for your pictures and suggestions. Keep them coming.
Old July 10th, 2008, 11:58 AM
lrnasd90
J. Landers

I got mine from DAP, it was 3mm anodized black 5 bar. I don't think they keep black in stock, but I might be wrong. I have bought 3 different ones from them. Don't remember how many holes, but if you are squeamish about drilling holes in your truck, it's not for you. After you build/assemble a few trucks from the frame up, drilling in your truck really doesn't phase you at all. But that first time is a bitch.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
protector