Bonehead Electrical Problem - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 19th, 2009, 11:52 AM
floyd650
Alex Lapidus
1994 D90 ST #1716

Bonehead Electrical Problem

I had Columbia Rovers wire my 94 ST for a trailer. The first time I plugged the trailer into the new harness it blew the fuse for the windshield wipers. I, of course, did not realize this until I was driving through the Columbia River Gorge in a torrential downpour hauling some motorcycles out for some general mischief. Stopping was not exactly an option, so I kept feeding the fuse box fuses while I drove (I had a co-pilot that made this operation slightly less dicey). At any rate, correct fuses ran out before the rain stopped, and I simply couldn't see without the wipers. So I elected to roll the dice and put a higher amp fuse in the wiper slot. Wipers worked fine, as did the trailer, but that was the last time that my dash lights lit up or the cigarette lighter worked. I have since replaced the fuse with the correct one and even dropped the truck at Columbia Rovers for a looksie. They sent it back asking to see it later with the trailer to investigate the problem. Aside from the obvious move of taking the 90 and the trailer and some more money to Columbia Rovers, what are people's thoughts on where I ought to dig to find the problem?

Thanks,

Alex

P.S. It was a killer day of riding and if anyone in the area want to drive rovers and ride motorcycles, drop me a line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mosier Moto.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	18849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mosier Moto2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	18850  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mosier Moto3.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	18851   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mosier Moto4.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	18855  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 19th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Departing90
Sasha
95 D90

Its a very simple hookup! I would hard wire it! Its cheap & way faster that looking for a short IMO!
Old April 19th, 2009, 04:37 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Another non-answer from Departing90. Hard-wire it? WTF? Strike One.

Anyway, a little more info would be good - did you install the Rover trailer harness? Something else? If they just installed something generic, I'd say its on them to make it work properly, or they can just pull it all out and give you your truck back as it was. If there is a genuine electrical fault, it shouldn't be too difficult to find.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 19th, 2009, 07:03 PM
rogersta
Drew Rogers
1993 NAS D110 #51

Did the 94 STs not come stock with wiring for a trailer?
Old April 19th, 2009, 09:46 PM
floyd650
Alex Lapidus
1994 D90 ST #1716

Actually my question is not really about making the trailer work. I'm more interested in some suggestions about what I may have fried by sticking a higher amp fuse in the wiper slot. The wipers work fine now, but the gauge lights and cigarette lighter are out of commision...

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Alex
Old April 19th, 2009, 10:18 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Welcome back Shasha!

Make Columbia rovers fix it.
Old April 28th, 2009, 02:22 PM
nycjdp
JP
1995 D90

Sorry to hijack but where in the Oregon area are you riding that motorcycle? Looks like a blast!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
electrical