Bondo or NO bondo is the question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 10th, 2009, 02:59 PM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Bondo or NO bondo is the question

What is the best way on a Defender to get body dings(sometimes a run in with a tree ding, okay maybe Dong) out of the body panel?

I was going to use "Evercoat Rage" as the filler.

Would you get "Dent Wizard" on this or Filler, not sure how much the Wizard would charge for a whole truck but cant be cheap.

Would I be degrading the truck if I use filler?..One thing is true my baby and me wont be parting for many years to come.

Any suggestions/comments would be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 10th, 2009, 03:06 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I have seen someone use dry ice to pop small dings out of aluminium, but for anythign with a crease you are stuck with bondo or replacing the panel.
Old April 10th, 2009, 03:10 PM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

dry ice? interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 10th, 2009, 04:42 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

When I first got my truck I had some guy come and push the dings out. Probably similar to Dent wizard. Came out good. I'd try that first before bondo.

-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old April 12th, 2009, 09:48 PM
hamiamham
mike
97 D-90

search "bondo" on this board. i seem to remember someone (recently) saying bondo and aluminum body panels are a no-go.
Old April 12th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiamham
search "bondo" on this board. i seem to remember someone (recently) saying bondo and aluminum body panels are a no-go.
Bondo is fine with AL. But if you can avoid repainting, do that first.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old April 12th, 2009, 10:47 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Bondo cracks from the flexing of aluminium. A very light skim of the stuff that is designed for alum is ok per Mike at ECR and others, but I have seen too many with shitty bondo that has cracked.
Old April 12th, 2009, 11:48 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I don't know if it works on aluminum, but there is some sort of lead filler they use as well instead of bindo that is supposed to be better. Pictures I saw of it looked like soldering it on.
Old April 13th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Best thing you can use is Devcon Liquid Aluminum. I used it on my hood. Acts like AL when it dries.. Total bitch to sand down and costs a lot. Bondo is fine though.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old April 13th, 2009, 06:45 AM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I have heard the Evercoat filler is designed to be used on aluminum, but I have never used it.
I will try and use as very little as possible if any, and try the dry ice methode and a dent expert on the worst places. The ST doors have the most dent's so this is were I will try the filler,..anyway my long term ideas was to eventualy replace them with new units (the steel frames are badly rusted)..
Old April 13th, 2009, 08:23 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Bondo cracks from the flexing of aluminium. A very light skim of the stuff that is designed for alum is ok per Mike at ECR and others, but I have seen too many with shitty bondo that has cracked.
I second this... You can use it to fix small imperfections but large damage needs to be straightened or the panel replaced.. Sometimes a new panel might even need a dab if filler here or there...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions