Bolts. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 8th, 2011, 09:40 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Bolts.

I'm looking at placing a fairly substantial order with Fastenal for most of the bolt sizes used for Defenders. The downside is the minimum quantities required are fairly high for some and while the unit cost is pretty good; getting 100 at a time or more adds up.

The ones I currently have prices on are all 10.9 and zinc plated (Grade 8 where imperial are specified) though I'm checking on the prices for 8.8 as well. An example of costs is for the rear shock mount bolts if I get 25 they're 1.39 each (in 10.9) but drop to .85 each if I order 100.

Would anyone like to split on these to meet the minimum volumes? I could ship them to you within 2 weeks (1 week if you're in Canada; I drive down to Ogdensburg to pick up parts twice a month); if so contact me asap. Minimum shipment should be around $50 worth of hardware to make it worthwhile.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 8th, 2011, 11:25 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
My experience with large hardware orders was that mcmaster.com beat Fastenal's pricing by a good percentage, and I've never had a single miss- sent item from mcmaster. Not trying to sharp-shoot, just relating the experience.

Old November 8th, 2011, 12:11 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

My most recent order from Fastenal will be my last. 32% of the bolts were poorly machined; across the flats they were ~1mm too big on m7 bolts! Very poor QC, IMO. I agree with Jim C, McMaster.com all the way.
Advertisement

Old November 8th, 2011, 12:14 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
My experience with large hardware orders was that mcmaster.com beat Fastenal's pricing by a good percentage, and I've never had a single miss- sent item from mcmaster. Not trying to sharp-shoot, just relating the experience.
Actually thanks; I had intended to ask about other suggestions as well. I'm considering doing full-chassis bolt-kits as well but can obviously only do them for the models I have access to (yes, I can use the parts catalog but not all sizes are listed) since getting all the bolts together is a major pain and takes so much time.

I just did some comparisons in price between my quote here and the McMaster website (which is obviously retail without discounts) and mine seems to be 10-25% cheaper on average. Possibly not enough to make it worthwhile for most people; but being able to get most of the needed bolts at once might hold some additional value.

Either way I'm likely to be ordering about $600 worth of bolts at the end of the week and I'm happy to share the saving; if you know the exact sizes you need even better.

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old November 8th, 2011, 12:47 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

x2 for McMaster
Old November 8th, 2011, 01:01 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
for an order that large you may also want to check for distributors that service your local machine shops. I have been told by some machinists I know that they routinely have suppliers beat McMaster, MSC or Fastenal by an easy 30%...however, you will have to do some homework for your area and may not be the best option if you are time crunched

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bolts