Bolt Size - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 26th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Baldewin
Chris Baldewin
Bastard 90

Bolt Size

Looking for size of bolt that holds angle bracket to frame and then ties to underbody roll cage support. Would also like to know if these bolts use large type fender washers? The factory hole looks like it will hold fit a 6mm or 1/4" rivnut type fitting which looks small since the holes in the angle bracket look like they would fit a 10mm or 3/8" bolt.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Support 015.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	8015   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Support 016.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	8016  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 27th, 2007, 12:20 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
What the hell truck is that? Shouldnt there be a underbody roll cage section in there?
Old January 27th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Baldewin
Chris Baldewin
Bastard 90

Jim,

It's a bastard step child! An exmod frame... and after peeking under a few of the NAS trucks it looks like the mounts are there just missing the threaded inserts. Once the threaded insert goes in the underbody roll cage section will immeadiatly follow.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 27th, 2007, 11:10 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Oh, you are looking for the size of the 3 holes on the side of the center crossmember? You need to put M8 rivnuts in there. Unless you have an M8 rivnut insert tool (the only ones I know of are pneumatic) you just need to put the inserts in with a little epoxy to keep them from spinning. When you tighten down the bolts after putting in the roll cage center section, the rivnuts will set nicely.

Follow-up Post:

Oh, I have M8 rivnuts if you want some, they are yours for the price of shipping.
Old January 27th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

You can use the bolt trick for rivnuts & I have found some tools on ebay before.
Old January 27th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Baldewin
Chris Baldewin
Bastard 90

Yes that is what I was looking for. The ones below are 3/8, 5/16, 1/4 10 and 6. The 1/4 and the 6 fit in the hole but spin a little. Not sure about the 8mm since McFadden Dale didn't have any in stock. I will take the ones you have. Let me know what postage is. The hole size is just over .405 which maybe smaller than the NAS ones. Would think the 8 would be similer to the 5/16 which would be a .520 size hole. The hand operated riv tool is $35 buck which isn't to bad.

Thanks
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Support 020.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	8017  
Old January 27th, 2007, 02:25 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I think I had to open the holes a bit to get them to fit (I replaced my NAS chassis with a Tdi spec one), that was mainly because they had galv in them so I dont know what the original size was.

Either way, keep the truck metric, and I guarantee you that m6 fasteners arent really sufficient for holding on that piece.

The 35 dollar rivnut setter only goes up to M6 size. For larger rivnuts you either need to set them manually with the nut trick, or just glue them so that they squash when you tighten them. The only trick to is ensure they dont spin.
Old January 28th, 2007, 08:50 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Jim, could you spare 6 of those rivnuts for me too? I have to do the same on my chassis......
Old January 28th, 2007, 11:11 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I'll take a look Randy!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions