Bolt-on fan instead of clutch - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 27th, 2006, 09:55 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Bolt-on fan instead of clutch

Has anyone ever used a bolted on fan instead of the clutch job? Hearing all these overheating issues and switching to electrics - why not just bolt one on?

I had one in a '65 Corvette and with aluminum rad never had problems, even running 6K rpms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 27th, 2006, 10:27 PM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

One time I had to drive from Tampa to Lake City florida to pick up my new viscous fan. Though it's mostly highway, you never know when you'll be in traffic, etc, and I knew the viscous I had was very bad. So I drilled a hole through the metal of the viscous, about mid-way through the radius, and put a bolt through it. Permanently locked viscous, if you don't mind a little silicone being sprayed around the engine bay (I let it bleed awhile, but some still sprayed out).

Truck ran fine, but was loud as hell, and there was a noticeable reduction in fuel mileage. I would think it'd also probably affect your power, though I don't recall noticing anything. Just doesn't sound good. But I still have that locked viscous/ fan an emergency backup. I used to bring it with me on the trails in Fl.

My understanding is that most vehicles with bolted on blades are flex fans, so the blades flatten out at speed to reduce their pull. I would think fuel mileage would be the biggest issue with something like that.
Old May 27th, 2006, 10:57 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I'm not suggesting the permanent fix is to bolt-on the clutch fan: a balanced, solid fan bolted on instead. Less weight. NOT FLEX - when they break you'll know why.

Can't imagine a D90 motor is much quieter than a Corvette V8; noise was not a noticeable problem with me.

As for mileage, I don't know what the loss is when the clutch fan is on but 5% or less sounds right. With a lighter (clutch-less) version should be a better number.

Or, perhaps it's time we found a GM replacement (clutch) once and for all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 27th, 2006, 11:39 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

On the V-belt engines, I couldn't find an applicable adapter at all, the thread size is just too unusual..... I think that other than Land Rover only BMW uses it, and only on a couple of models.

The Serpentine belt versions IIRC use a standard thread, and I believe Flex-A-Lite makes an adapter for it, but I think there may also be some other options for the clutch as well. It's been a while since I looked up the cross-references, and I never verified it because I didn't have a serpentine fan clutch to measure.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old May 28th, 2006, 07:34 PM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by artm
Or, perhaps it's time we found a GM replacement (clutch) once and for all?
Whoa, am I wrong, or did Roverchick just cover this? I'd no idea about this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverChic
Fan clutch- There is a NAPA store off the Main Street in UTAH that you can buy a clutch from. It will fit the 1994 here is the part number: Napa #271304. This is a direct replacement and will work with that truck. Good luck! I know how it feels, but it will all work out!

Here is the other Part # 215157 Imperial Fan Clutch from Advance Auto, that requires some rigging. But is only $66. Here is the info on changing it out courtesy of DiscoJen:

Parts needed:
Fan clutch 215157 ($66.96)
4 Bolts (Help! kit # 14040 10x1.5x15mm four pack) ($5.98)
10mm drill bit or reamer (had an old bit laying around, think I used a 3/8" bit)

Installation:
Remove your fan blade assembly from the old clutch
Ream out the 4 mounting holes on fan blade assembly to fit the 10mm bolts from the Help! kit
Bolt your fan blade assembly onto the new clutch with your Help! bolts
Reinstall onto your water pump and you are good to go
Old May 28th, 2006, 11:01 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I just posted on that thread: those part numbers show different rotations so they can't both work in the same truck. But if one does then there you go. With a lifetime warranty (maybe) it's a done deal - assuming it's not made in China.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
clutch, fan