Boge Unit removal - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 10th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Boge Unit removal

I'm trying to reduce body roll in Chammy to her more suitable for high speed driving, and I wonder if there's anyone out there that has removed the Bose load-leveler from either a Rangie or a 110. I like the way it keeps the truck level under different loads, but by pushing up on the center (at the A frame), and thereby taking weight away from the springs seems to work in opposition to body roll reduction. Comments, ideas, references?

DW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 10th, 2004, 01:31 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

First off it is BOGE.

Second I think you will find the opposite effect to what you have decribed if you remove it. Just install stiffer springs that are non-boge spec and it will stop the roll.

The BOGE trucks lean more because they have softer springs as the boge will handle the extra weight.

Ron
Old June 10th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Humm, I have OME medium duty 755s back there now, still have the factory rear sway bar (110s don't have a front sway), and Heavy Duty 751s up front. I've been advised that any stiffer springs will raise the truck more, which I don't want to do. I'm considering the Koni Tough Track Raid shocks, but hard to get any data on them here in the states. Roll is a real issue with 110s. Is there a stiffer spring than the 755 that will not lift the rear higher?

DW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 10th, 2004, 02:33 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

I've removed the load leveler on my 110, and didn't really notice any difference. But my setup may be much different than yours, and there are several other factors that can influence body roll. I also have my sway bar removed, and my springs are all retained (I'm running 755 springs in the back and 781's in the front). I would think that the sway bar would have the most effect. The stock one looks really wimpy to me so, if you still have it on, I wonder if anyone makes a heavier duty one. And then add disconnects if you want more articulation.
Old June 10th, 2004, 02:52 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I doubt OME HDs would raise it much more beyond what lift you will get because they are new. I would order two passenger side OME HDs and maybe switch to bilstiens or LTRs something that is a stiffer shock. Keep in mind with all of this ride will suffer.

A front sway bar would make a big difference as well. But that is a bit more work. It would not hurt the risde as much though.
Old June 10th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Dude you ain't drivin no suv!! I have had my sway bar off for 9 years & am used to the roll but it could be a safety issue. I, belive it or not still have the original suspension! Shocks too!

I am includind a link to Scorp racing. There stuff is good.perhaps Rimmer Bro's??

http://www.scorpionracing.co.uk/OFFROAD/offroad.html
Old June 10th, 2004, 03:06 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

[QUOTE=Bowtracer]Dude you ain't drivin no suv!!

I tend to agree with Peter. I think I've gotten use to the roll in my 110. I don't really notice it unless I drive someone else's car, and then go back to mine.

OTOH, I had to make an evasive manuever once when someone started to turn in front of me - scared the sh.. out of me
Old June 10th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Bowtracer, I compete this truck in the NVTR. Planning on doing more high speed off roading in the future as time and events permit. I drove a really stiff LWB in the last NVTR because my 110 was down, and i really noticed a big difference in handling when negotiating high speed gravel/sand turns without as much body sway. Just for fun, check out 'www.teamsaluki.com.' Play the vid.

Back to the Boge, anyone else removed this and what experience did they have?

DW
Old June 10th, 2004, 04:04 PM
sachilles
Seth Achilles
87 RRC

Mine is removed.
I have an 87rrc....no sway bars. SG stage 3 suspension setup. Not exactly a rally setup.

From my racing experience....in cars..... you can eliminate body roll with stiffer springs or with a sway bar. The stiffer the sway bar, the less roll. If you go stiffer in the back, you are more likely to over steer. Stiffer in the front will produce understeer. ditto with springs.
Having a soft comfortable ride, with something that is good for performance driving isn't the easiest combination to make. Springs and sways are only part of the equation, shocks/struts play a huge role as well.

Regardless....I don't think the boge unit is helping you out much unless your suspension is on the worn out side.
Old June 10th, 2004, 08:41 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Doud yanken your leg on the suv thing!!!!!!!!!!
I have named my 110 Moby! The great white whale! It handles like it in water! I would look into Scorp stuff! My friend has a disco with all the Scorp stuff & it good stuff.
Old June 10th, 2004, 09:10 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Copy Bowtracer. Does 'Bow'tracer match up any way with whales?

Seth, Chammy definitely understeers in her current state. Thanks for the tips.

DW
Old June 10th, 2004, 10:20 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
i have spent some time behind anf FJ-40 with lift and some tars. It is a wee bit sketch at speed. WTF am I talking about its thursty Thurs.
Old August 31st, 2005, 03:00 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Bowtracer, I compete this truck in the NVTR. Planning on doing more high speed off roading in the future as time and events permit. I drove a really stiff LWB in the last NVTR because my 110 was down, and i really noticed a big difference in handling when negotiating high speed gravel/sand turns without as much body sway. Just for fun, check out 'www.teamsaluki.com.' Play the vid.

Back to the Boge, anyone else removed this and what experience did they have?

DW
Doug,
Did you ever wind up removing the Boge and if so, what did you find?
Thanks,
Matt
Old August 31st, 2005, 07:04 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

No never removed it. Went to Koni HTs and that solved a lot of the roll issue until they got used up. Going to go with a Scorpion HD sway bar and Koni Raids, and see how that does. I'm wondering if I can get by with one HD sway -- and if so, front or rear?

Doug W.
Old September 13th, 2005, 11:16 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Doug,

Sent you a PM.
Old September 14th, 2005, 01:35 AM
headdamage
Andrew
exmod 90 2.5na and a 93/RRC 200tdi

My 1987 RR is much nicer with it removed and some heavy duty springs in the back end.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions