Body Damage - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 19th, 2007, 11:29 AM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
Body Damage

Long story short, pulled out a jeep which its accelerator stuck in the process. I searched around and basically it isn't looking good to beat this back out I assume. Can you just replace the panel and the cap without taking the tub out? What do you guys think would be the easiest course of action. If i can beat it out to look half decent I would just do that. It was a friend that hit me so it may be hard to get him to fork out enough dough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Damage 005.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	9658   Click image for larger version

Name:	Damage 006.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	9659  

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 19th, 2007, 11:40 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Have him hit the other side so they match...

Scott

Old June 19th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Unhappy

Ouch! Sorry that happened. Yeah, it would be tough to make a friend cough up the $$$ to fix it. I'm no body expert but it looks like a clean yet sharp bend that might be tough to beat out, i.e. the aluminum may split at the crease. To replace the skin, you would have to drill out all the spot welds and rivets and remove the capping. Call George @ RDS, he may have some panels.

Good luck!

Cheers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 19th, 2007, 02:09 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Bang it out. It will add character.
Old June 19th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

If you decide to beat it out, heat it first. Liquid dish washer soap on one side and torch on the other. When the soap bubbles and turns black - stop heating. The aluminum can now be "beat on" without cracking it. The crease corresponds to the wheel well and beating it out will be difficult. It will look nicer to drill out and replace.
Old June 19th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

How about a flush patch ...

You could always cut out what is bent very neatly and then, using countersunk rivets make a flush patch. The seam would show but no one ever looks at both sides of your car at the same time.

Just an idea ! It is used extensively in aviation.

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Old June 19th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Monkeyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveridin1959
It was a friend that hit me so it may be hard to get him to fork out enough dough.
Screw that - he does carry insurance, right?

Call the agent and get it fixed right. I wouldn't make a friend eat the deductible, but heck let the ins co pay for most of it.
Old June 19th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
I actually thought it was a cooling vent for the rear brake system? I am with Keith, you guys split the deductable and let insurance take care of it properly.
Old June 19th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

When I made my 90, all my panels were used. I did all the body work and all the painting. The problem with what you are facing is that the panel most likely is stretched, especially at the horizontal line of rivits, and fixing it will be very difficult. You won't be able to bang that out completely. Matter of fact, I think it may be difficult to get it even close enough that the aluminum "bondo" will be thin enough to really work well. If it were mine, I would just get some aluminum sheeting or a replacement panel and skin that area, preferably from the back, and then use the aluminum bondo to skim it back to flush. I would probably first try and bang it out using heat described above and see how close I could make it and if I could get within about 1/4 to 3/8" I would fill it with the aluminum fill. Removing that panel to replace it would be a major undertaking.

Actually, as I give it more thought, I would get a replacement side, and cut out just the area that is dented from both the truck and the new panel but leave about 1" of the dented panel below the horizontal line of rivits. I would drill out all the vertical rivits. I would cut a 2" strip of aluminum and bond it (or rivit it) to the 1" horizontal flap you left on the truck and then put then bond that to the new panel as it lines up. Kind of like using tape behind the two lined up panels. This little seam I would fill in with aluminum fill and have it painted.

Good luck
Old June 19th, 2007, 07:14 PM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
What makes it harder to just bang out is the corner was pushed in a little bit. You can see the capping is not straight down. My bumper took most of the hit, but just enough caught the corner. Light guard saved the light, but I am sure it didn't help my body panel.

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Old June 19th, 2007, 07:28 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Go to an Audi dealer and ask for a good body shop that does aluminum, the A8 is aluminum and they will have a source that knows how to fix it.
Old June 19th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveridin1959
What do you guys think would be the easiest course of action.
Thats a no-brainer!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010125.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	9661  

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old June 19th, 2007, 07:56 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover
Ouch! Sorry that happened. Yeah, it would be tough to make a friend cough up the $$$ to fix it. I'm no body expert but it looks like a clean yet sharp bend that might be tough to beat out, i.e. the aluminum may split at the crease. To replace the skin, you would have to drill out all the spot welds and rivets and remove the capping. Call George @ RDS, he may have some panels.

Good luck!

Cheers...
I have done this and this is the only way to make it look nice and stock. Replace the panel. Its not that hard. I just did a series tub an dit came out really nice. If you lived in the area, I would have done it.. lol
Old June 19th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

You can use a compound called Speedgrip Structural Adhesive. Need about 3/4" to 1" overlap for it to work, but you could get (or fabricate) a rear corner. Cut away the section about an inch below the rivets. Carefully bend that lip out to near vertical and bond the replacement section to that lip. New corner cap and a small amount of bondo for the seam created and new paint.
You can also use a backing piece of aluminum and lay the upper and lower pieces edge to edge - but then you would have to drill out the rivets above the bend to get a flat surface to bond to the backing piece.
Old June 20th, 2007, 08:43 AM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

I have guy here (in Wilmington) that could weld a tin can back together.......
I punched a hole in the side of my 110 and he fixed it perfectly.
He restores porsches/jags/muscle cars
Email me for his info.....
Old June 20th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Get it fixed right or you will regret not having it done. Now is the time while your friend is around and owns up to the accident. And by the way, if he truly is a friend, he won't avoid helping you get some resolution to this. This is beyond a blemish and will hurt should you ever sell.
Old June 20th, 2007, 06:27 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Body Panel

George has that body panel (new) on sale for $50. Give Rovers Down South a call.
Old June 20th, 2007, 06:36 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Thats a no-brainer!

LOL!

Ah yes. The sawzall. The perfect band-aid.
Old June 20th, 2007, 11:40 PM
97Ariesblu
kyle scheppler
1997/D-90 Station Wagon

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Thats a no-brainer!
haha i like it
Old June 23rd, 2007, 12:37 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I did that exact bit of damage at Uwharrie this year - it does not go back into shape well at all. That being said, I plan on just rolling with it for a couple years. Maybe I just badly need the cred...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
body, damage