Body cappings (one for the restorers/rebuilders) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 20th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Question Body cappings (one for the restorers/rebuilders)

Few may know I stripped the Cube a tad in order to slightly restore her for the times to come...
Body cappings were showing little rust in a couple of points,the Series-style doors had the galvanized cappings while the tub was factory white,plus I always wanted the vintage,long lasting galvanized look.

So the Cube looks like this since a couple of weeks (attached pic)

Then I made my usual big mistake and had the cappings sandblasted and galvanized
(always thought it's a quick cheap job).
I don't know the actual Ä price for new,original,galvanized cappings but I'm now quite sure with the money I spent so far I could have allowed several sets

Other great new the cappings came back "slightly" bent

At the moment I'm stuck here
(second attachment as sample);
the center capping on the bulkhead is a PITA to refit and,once done,the holes don't match anymore with the smaller cappings hidden in corners (I hope it makes sense so far).

The center capping look a tad curved now,I can align all the holes one side but it shifts to the other and I can't place a single rivet anymore.
I tried to rivet it down from the center section in order to spread it levelled but no avail.

Does galvanizing stretch body cappings?
Or did the Cube shrinked while waiting in a cold box?

Do I miss something here?
Dumb question maybe but I don't really want to turn the exiting holes into craters
nor I can't hammer the poor creature to bits (although I went close yesterday)...

(sigh)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	no_lights_800600.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	12231   Click image for larger version

Name:	Galv_009.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	12232  

+109" IIA ex-military

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sketches and doodles:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[O]===[O]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 20th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Galvanizing warps thin parts. When I'm fitting cappings, I use 3/16" cleco clamps and when it is all aligned and set - I take one cleco at a time and exchange it for a pop rivet. For the bent and warped cappings, I would straighten them off the tub - not use the tub to try and hold them straight.
Old February 20th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Cleco

Thanks Chris.
I don't think those "Cleco" clamps are available at the local shop but will do a search for something similar.

I will drill the rivets out and try the clamp approach.
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 20th, 2008, 10:16 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
I experienced similar issues when I restored a '64 5 door 109. I had to slightly cold set (bend) some of the longer cappings to get them to align with existing holes in the tub. Use a block of wood between your hammer and the freshly gavanized capping so you don't dammage it. I then placed every rivet in the appropriate hole before I started "popping" them. Depending on how clean the galvanizing is you will likely have to clean out extra gavanizing from the capping holes with appropriately sized drill/drill bit. And yes you did the appropriate process of using your existing cappings. If you had bought new galvanzied cappings the hole patterns would not match well with the holes in the tub.

Old February 20th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenB
If you had bought new galvanzied cappings the hole patterns would not match well with the holes in the tub
My biggest fear exactly

keeping the original parts instead is only giving me half the trouble now

Gotta fix this stuff,hopefully with some "finesse"!
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
body, rebuild