Body Armor - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 26th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Rover- Girl

Question Body Armor

I know that there are endless varieties and brand names out there when
it comes to decking out the underside/belly of the beast...
my question:
What exactly needs protection !?
Do you need all of it ( skid, steering, pinion, differential, fuel tank ect ) !!??
Who makes the best, durable stuff !?
Drawbacks !?
Thanks Christine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 26th, 2006, 02:29 PM
read
Read Kerlin
'94 w/ POE HT

search... and you will find the answers.
Old March 26th, 2006, 02:59 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Christine,

What type of off roading are you doing? I would recomend steering protection as the rover steering is pretty vulnerable. Rovers Down South has some original Land Rover steering guards. Diff covers can be bought from several vendors. Florida doesn't seem like the kind of place that requires lots of protection, at least the kind I'm talking about. Start with steering and diff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 26th, 2006, 05:00 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Yeah, what will you be tackling with your truck? Start low.. Diff guards... needed.. I got my rear one from www.4x4ag.com and it has a pinion guard built in.. very nice.. Oh and I see they are on sale right now... My front one is SG... I also like the hd steering tie rods.. either rym or Rover tracks.. If you have the Hd stuff you might not even need a front skid plate for what you do. I do not run one..... Next you could get a HD tank guard to protect the tank and sliders that would replace your side sills and you can get ones with a bar built in like a step of you want. very nice... That would do it....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01483.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	5276  
Old March 26th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Personally, I think that once you start "adding protection" you should first start by making sure you have recovery points front and rear. Also, if you are traveling alone, seriously consider a winch (consider one anyways). I like to make sure that I can get out of situations before I consider what I need to get into them. My 2 cents.

After a winch bumper and secure rear recovery points, I would do (in this order) diff guards, sill/rock sliders, front skid guard (or upgrade drag link and tie rod into Heavy Duty stuff instead--rovertracks has that stuff), lockers, rear pinion guard, cat/trans skid....never ends.
Old March 27th, 2006, 12:17 AM
scot
Scot Yount
95 Coniston Green D-90 SW

did you get the tire thing sorted out?
Old March 28th, 2006, 06:26 AM
Rover- Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
Yeah, what will you be tackling with your truck? Start low.. Diff guards... needed.. I got my rear one from www.4x4ag.com and it has a pinion guard built in.. very nice.. Oh and I see they are on sale right now... My front one is SG... I also like the hd steering tie rods.. either rhyme or Rover tracks.. If you have the Hd stuff you might not even need a front skid plate for what you do. I do not run one..... Next you could get a HD tank guard to protect the tank and sliders that would replace your side sills and you can get ones with a bar built in like a step of you want. very nice... That would do it....
Randy...Love those rock sliders !!
Will definitely get those since I bent the daylight out of my sidesteps/ running board!

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot
did you get the tire thing sorted out?
yes, got the size I wanted, whitewall/ lettering turned to inside and had a buddy of
mine adjust the steering stops
Old March 28th, 2006, 06:53 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

those rock sliders you can also get from JohnC at www.4x4ag.com
i just got a set, easy to fit and look good

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 28th, 2006, 05:31 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
are they strong
Old March 28th, 2006, 09:59 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

they are the dogs bollocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
are they strong

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 29th, 2006, 06:05 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
i take it they are the scorpion racing ones
Old March 29th, 2006, 07:21 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
i take it they are the scorpion racing ones
Yep they are

Old March 29th, 2006, 07:54 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Yes, they are the dogs Ass... lol and I got them from JohnC also. Great guys to get parts from and support on the board here Christine... The tubes on the side of there sliders are great to walk around the truck on when you are up to your ass in water also don't you think Jimmy Also makes for a good step to get the smaller chicks in after they throw undergarments at your windshield.. (cause the D is such a KICK ASS truck)
Old March 29th, 2006, 08:12 AM
GeoParth
George Parthmer
1995/d-90 #2715 yellowST

christine -- if you are going for the cheap and marginally effective protection idea --- AB has a killer package on the essentials. i really never understood why LR didnt do a better job at the factory to protect the underside of the 90. i second the earlier comment about the fuel tank skid plate. i think expedition exchange has some of the best products out there and they are great to deal with! io bought the slick rock plate and it fit perfectly -- the problem i had was getting the old one off. if your rig is a southern truck you shouldnt have the same rust problem that i had.

i have been running the AB skid plate kit and i cant complain. i waxoyled the entire underside of the truck and just did the skid plates for shits and giggles. it was actually a kind of neat experiment b/c now i can see pretty well where the plates took hits and slid over things by looking at where the waxoyl rubbed off. i think the diff guard, t-case/tran, and steering guards were like 600 bones- dont remember exactly - but if you are using the skid plates as a back-up for close encounters and not as a primary way over/through things the AB should be OK.
Old March 30th, 2006, 07:34 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Don't get the AB transfercase guard its a great ground anchor in the mud. I had one on at MAR 2 years ago and it caused more problems than it solved. If you play in the mud don't get it.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old March 30th, 2006, 07:50 AM
GeoParth
George Parthmer
1995/d-90 #2715 yellowST

i didnt have any trouble yet, but i can see how it would be problem; sitting as low as it does might make a mess of things. usually it is something else that fouls me up in mud- like getting off canter and just royally f'ing up everything ... spenind all kinds of time with the winch, getting muddy - you know - the usual fun rover stuff! of course - cheap is good for now. what did you switch to? i am always looking for new ideas ... hopefully, of the inexpensive variety.
Old March 30th, 2006, 05:25 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

I haven't put anything on yet but will at some point go with frame sliders and trans/transfer case plate that rockware sell.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old October 22nd, 2006, 08:31 PM
trislerjw
JT
97 D-90 ST

scorp sliders..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
Yeah, what will you be tackling with your truck? Start low.. Diff guards... needed.. I got my rear one from www.4x4ag.com and it has a pinion guard built in.. very nice.. Oh and I see they are on sale right now... My front one is SG... I also like the hd steering tie rods.. either rym or Rover tracks.. If you have the Hd stuff you might not even need a front skid plate for what you do. I do not run one..... Next you could get a HD tank guard to protect the tank and sliders that would replace your side sills and you can get ones with a bar built in like a step of you want. very nice... That would do it....
I have those sliders, I was ordering the sill protectors (like the wingtops) and noticed that in order for those sliders to be installed they cut the bottom off (which is where those sill guards go), anyone know if I can just cut the pice and put it on in 3 pieces due to the door movement? I was ordering the kit from johnc.....
-J
Old October 23rd, 2006, 06:03 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

sill protectors fit to the sill not the bottom of the doors

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
body