Body alignment questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 27th, 2011, 12:10 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Body alignment questions

I have my bulkhead and tub sitting on the frame and I am getting ready to start aligning it and wanted to ask / confirm a few items prior to moving forward.

1. Jim C posted that the frame should be level and that the bulkhead should be perpendicular to the frame (frame 0 degrees bulkhead 90). Where is the best location to measure for level on the frame. I am currently measuring on the flat part located on the top of the frame as shown in the attached picture.

2. I am planning to use the string trick as described by Jim C in the following thread, any other tips / recommendations before I start?
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...3&postcount=45

3. What is the typical door gap on a 90? 1/4 3/8 1/2

Thanks,

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	body.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	41388  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 27th, 2011, 01:16 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Dave, I am no expert and in fact may be a complete hack and/or not know what I am doing I'm told.

But a quick survey of two NAS 90's and a series says 1/4 to 3/8 gap or whatever looks best to you. Maybe make the rer gap consistent with the hinge side, and just keep it the same amount top and bottom?
Old August 27th, 2011, 02:15 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Stick the doors on and see how it looks, that's what I did, panned out alright in the end, maybe I was lucky. The mix was replacement chassis, galvanised bulkhead, original doors and sills & second row doors from other trucks. It all looked a bit wonky until I put the roof on, that pulled everything into shape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 27th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Yeah, for a 2-door/regular I bolt things loosely, include the doors with everything loose, get them in place and tighten them up. Most everything, except the bulkhead, can be easily loosened later for further adjustment. The bulkhead can be as well, just not as easily.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old August 27th, 2011, 06:11 PM
T1G UP
marcus
Puma 110 xs. Td5 110 xs for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslandrover View Post
Stick the doors on and see how it looks, that's what I did, panned out alright in the end, maybe I was lucky. The mix was replacement chassis, galvanised bulkhead, original doors and sills & second row doors from other trucks. It all looked a bit wonky until I put the roof on, that pulled everything into shape.
what he says

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
alignment, body