BMW engine mounts - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 15th, 2014, 12:44 PM
bish1865
Bruce Bishop
1985 Defender 110

BMW engine mounts

I found these on the internet yesterday and due to thier configuration and being oil filled I thought they may cut down on diesel vibration on my 2.5. Your thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw mounts.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	100941  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 15th, 2014, 12:51 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I saw those too. You'll probably need to modify the brackets to make them work.

I have no personal experience to base this on, but form looking around on the web it seems the liquid-filled mounts can leak after some time. Not sure if use in a LR would accelerate that process or not but given LR's propensity for leaking, I wouldn't be surprised. Though it seems like leaking doesn't mean catastrophic sudden failure so probably worth the effort if they will reduce the NVH aspect of our rides. That said, it is funny how some of the owners whose cars come with liquid-filled mounts are clamoring to change over to solid ones. Everyone wants what they don't have...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bish1865 View Post
I found these on the internet yesterday and due to thier configuration and being oil filled I thought they may cut down on diesel vibration on my 2.5. Your thoughts?
Old August 15th, 2014, 01:02 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I'm all for people trying to improve things on these trucks, but I've personally never found the vibration itself of the LR I4 diesel to be much of a problem.

The worse part to me is the diesel clatter/combustion noise, but most people use various sound killing tricks (foams, mats, sprays) to lessen that. I just don't think different engine mounts would lower the diesel clatter, which is substantial.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 15th, 2014, 01:06 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
They don't reduce the clatter. They reduce the vibration transmitted to the chassis. Anectodtally, Tdi conversions to series trucks seem to be a problem since they use different mounts than the tdi stock setups.

My personal experience with Tdi trucks is that the factory mounts are fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
I'm all for people trying to improve things on these trucks, but I've personally never found the vibration itself of the LR I4 diesel to be much of a problem.

The worse part to me is the diesel clatter/combustion noise, but most people use various sound killing tricks (foams, mats, sprays) to lessen that. I just don't think different engine mounts would lower the diesel clatter, which is substantial.
Old August 15th, 2014, 01:24 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

I have some familiarity with this style of mounts in Audi applications. The B7 series A4 mount in particular:

They do leak over time (a funky purple colored hydraulic goo) and the Audi mount actually has an electric sensor in it to detect abnormal vibration.

My concern as I eluded to in another thread, is that if soft/compliant engine mounts are installed with the standard firm/low deflection transmission mounts, it can place undue torsional stress through the drivetrain leading to significant problems as severe as a cracked bellhousing.

This is because the torque generated by the engine causes the drivetrain to twist in its mounts - and if the engine mounts are soft they will deflect but the transmission mounts will not. At this point you are asking the trans mounts to carry the full twisting force of the drivetrain, carried through the bellhousing and transmission case.

Whether or not this would manifest itself as a real problem in this application is unclear but it is certainly a pitfall to be aware of.
Old August 15th, 2014, 02:16 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by transientmechanic View Post
I have some familiarity with this style of mounts in Audi applications. The B7 series A4 mount in particular:

They do leak over time (a funky purple colored hydraulic goo) and the Audi mount actually has an electric sensor in it to detect abnormal vibration.

My concern as I eluded to in another thread, is that if soft/compliant engine mounts are installed with the standard firm/low deflection transmission mounts, it can place undue torsional stress through the drivetrain leading to significant problems as severe as a cracked bellhousing.

This is because the torque generated by the engine causes the drivetrain to twist in its mounts - and if the engine mounts are soft they will deflect but the transmission mounts will not. At this point you are asking the trans mounts to carry the full twisting force of the drivetrain, carried through the bellhousing and transmission case.

Whether or not this would manifest itself as a real problem in this application is unclear but it is certainly a pitfall to be aware of.
That would suggest that all motor mounts that do not that the same amount of dampening/flex/orientation as their corresponding transmission mounts would cause the sort of stress you are describing. I could certainly see this being an issue on cars with extreme outputs but less so in most defender application prescribed herein.

That said I agree its an unknown quantity, however failure of bellhousing would require an extreme amount of torsional stress given the transmission of this stress along the large surface area of the bellhousing and the corresponding bolts creating this union. Not to say that over time (and in the event of a failed hydraulic mount) you might not see some weakening or breakage of the bellhousing, I just don't agree with you assessment that these bushings are 'soft' and would presume that they actually have similar play to the stock rover mounts
Old August 15th, 2014, 02:19 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

They are also used in the 2005-06 Jeep Liberty CRD's (a VM/Merc engine)
Part # 52129011AD

http://www.idparts.com/catalog/produ...oducts_id=2793
Old August 15th, 2014, 02:22 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Of course this is all theoretical in this application, but it's worth noting that most vehicles (cars and 4x4's alike) use a 3-point drivetrain mount design (2 engine mounts on the frame, one central transmission mount on a crossmember) specifically because it's the engine mounts that should absorb all of the torque and vibration, and the transmission mount is only there to locate the assembly.

I'm not guaranteeing that you would have problems by running different engine/trans mounts in this application, but I probably wouldn't do it.
Old August 15th, 2014, 03:00 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
If you're concerned about it you could put a torque arm on the transmission mount to keep things from rotating. My Jeep YJ came with one.
Old August 16th, 2014, 02:08 PM
bish1865
Bruce Bishop
1985 Defender 110

Good points by all. I thank you for your input. My thought was to replace all four mounts. I went from a 2.5 NA which I drove for 3 years and now a 2.5 TD. The noise is reduced and I believe that to be due to the turbo. But the vibration through the truck at idle is not pleasant. I may to do some experimenting with oil filled mounts. The cost wasn't that bad for four mounts. Keeping Momma happy when she rides with me is my goal. She's so spoiled, she sports an 02 G-500 that has a stiff ride but is very quiet. I try to explain diesel VS Gas engine. She gets it but, I get the shrug and the response we'll take mine. So stay tuned I'll let you know how it works out,
Old August 16th, 2014, 04:00 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Do you idle at 750 rpm's?
You might want to turn your idle up about 50 rpm, may make a big difference in the vibration.
Old August 16th, 2014, 06:29 PM
bish1865
Bruce Bishop
1985 Defender 110

I'll give that a shot. I'm still dialing this engine in. It only has about 900 miles on the rebuild, So far so good. Just sorted out an unpredictable thermostat. But performance is good pulls very strong.
Old August 16th, 2014, 06:43 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viton View Post
Do you idle at 750 rpm's? You might want to turn your idle up about 50 rpm, may make a big difference in the vibration.
That's a good suggestion; hadn't even considered an idle adjustment; def something to try before you go motor mount crazy

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine, mount