blue smoke, need help on where to start, - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 9th, 2015, 08:32 AM
CavemanDiesel
Eric Smirh
1985 D90

blue smoke, need help on where to start,

Here's the deal, when running at normal temperature all is well, good power, mpg is 23 to 25, a puff of black smoke at start up and a little black smoke when accelerating, park for the night or long enough for engine to cool down and it will blow blue smoke for about 5 minutes when started. Ideas? 300 tdi, l had the head gasket replaced and the head redone, turbo rebuild at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2015, 08:55 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
could be a bunch of things. turbo, valve seals, clogged oil seperator. don't ignore it, or it will sneak up and surprise you down the road. compression test will rule head gasket in or out. I just had my turbo rebuilt, and they were able to isolate it by pulling the turbo off the manifold and seeing if the exhaust manifold had oil deposits in it. they said if oil is in the manifold then it's block related, if not, then it's turbo. a good diesel shop can isolate it. you have several good shops on this forum right there in florida to take it too for diagnostics.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old February 9th, 2015, 09:00 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Worn valve guides or bad seals that allow oil to seep into the cylinders through the valve guides.
Cracked head allowing oil to seep into a cylinder.
When the engine heats up the crack closes and seals off.
These are long shots.

Could the blue smoke be from over fueling?
You could have an injector that leaks down and dumps fuel into the cylinder when cold.
Then when it is running, the injector dump is not noticed, but it leaks down when the engine cools and sits a while.
I think this theory is more likely that the valve guide/cracked head, but is still pretty rare.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2015, 09:10 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
find a bosch shop and have them test your injectors. my local one will do it for $10 per injector.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old February 9th, 2015, 09:30 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Id go with valve guide seals if its blue smoke on start up. Older seals tend to pop off the end/top of the valves stem. Once that happens it just rides up and down on the valve and offers no seal @ all. You have to pull head and use a valve spring compressor to access the bastids. If its only an issue on start up I think I'd live with it.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 9th, 2015, 08:24 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

I 2ed doing a compression check
Old February 9th, 2015, 09:27 PM
CavemanDiesel
Eric Smirh
1985 D90

Thanks for all the replys, I've been putting off a trip to Sharfi HP, I'm going to call Steven tomorrow. Road trip I see a new head liner in my future and he will sort the blue smoke problem,

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions