Blown Turbo - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 7th, 2012, 11:19 AM
FLRover
Richard
None

Blown Turbo

This is according tony mechanic: The bearing went out on my turbo and it caused the turbo to dump quarts of oil down the exhaust. My mechanic has since replaced the turbo and the truck is running great. My question is how long should it take for the oil to burn out of the exhaust? It still has "fresh" oil at the tailpipe. Paranoid that it is still leaking oil into the exhaust. Mechanic assures me that it is not.

Motor is a rebuilt 300 Tdi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 7th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
when this happens, you can't just replace the turbo and be done. He should have pulled the intercooler and all the hoses and cleaned them out. If he did not pull out the intercooler...well there you go. From the turbo it is a straight shot of pipe to the muffler and out.
Old April 7th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Heating up the exhaust system, after you clean out the intercooler & air intake pipes, will go a long way to getting the oil out of the exhaust system. Short runs around town will not help much, you're going to have to have sustained hot exhaust to "burn" it out.

Take a full tank of fuel, run it continuously in 3rd gear until consumed...... and call me in the morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 7th, 2012, 01:29 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRover View Post
This is according tony mechanic: The bearing went out on my turbo and it caused the turbo to dump quarts of oil down the exhaust. My mechanic has since replaced the turbo and the truck is running great. My question is how long should it take for the oil to burn out of the exhaust? It still has "fresh" oil at the tailpipe. Paranoid that it is still leaking oil into the exhaust. Mechanic assures me that it is not.

Motor is a rebuilt 300 Tdi.
Lucky it wasn't the intake side. It would have enabled the engine to run on it's own engine oil probably revving to oblivion.

------ Follow up post added April 7th, 2012 06:33 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Heating up the exhaust system, after you clean out the intercooler & air intake pipes, will go a long way to getting the oil out of the exhaust system. Short runs around town will not help much, you're going to have to have sustained hot exhaust to "burn" it out.

Take a full tank of fuel, run it continuously in 3rd gear until consumed...... and call me in the morning.
The intercooler might not have much oil in it if it was the exhaust side that failed.

Might take quite a bit to burn the oil out of he exhaust.
Old April 8th, 2012, 09:03 AM
FLRover
Richard
None

Thank you for the information. Assuming he did not clean out the intercooler and pipes- is that as simple as removing a few clamps and hoses and then rinsing them with a hose? How would I check/clean out and residual oil. Assuming the full tank and 3rd gear means drive it around on the highway and that will burn the oil out of the exhaust.

Thanks again- appreciate the information for a rookie like me.
Old April 8th, 2012, 10:33 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
is that as simple as removing a few clamps and hoses and then rinsing them with a hose?
you should be able to disconnect the lowest pipe on the intercooler. Put a finger in there and see if there is oil.

Quote:
How would I check/clean out and residual oil.
You can feel it / see it on your finger. Water by itself won't clean out oil. Most people use mineral spirits or some other hydrocarbon based solvent.
Old April 8th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
You can feel it / see it on your finger. Water by itself won't clean out oil. Most people use mineral spirits or some other hydrocarbon based solvent.
yep. don't use water. you can use parts cleaner or the mineral spirits, or diesel. something like that. all you do is disconnect the intercooler hoses, then remove the the top slam panel that is over the radiator/intercooler assembly, and pull it out. Then put it on it's side outside the truck, and the cleaner and slosh it around like you were cleaning dishes. pretty simple.
Old April 8th, 2012, 02:32 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
yep. don't use water. you can use parts cleaner or the mineral spirits, or diesel. something like that. all you do is disconnect the intercooler hoses, then remove the the top slam panel that is over the radiator/intercooler assembly, and pull it out. Then put it on it's side outside the truck, and the cleaner and slosh it around like you were cleaning dishes. pretty simple.
Make sure you get all the solvent out before reconnecting the the intercooler or there would be a very nasty over revving accident waiting to happen.
I wouldn't run anywhere on the open highway in 3rd for long, just pick a route with plenty on long open roads where you can run at full throttle to build up some heat in the exhaust, a good blast will clear the soot from the exhaust for the MOT emission test.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions