Blown Turbo - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old April 7th, 2012, 11:19 AM
FLRover
Status: Offline
Richard
None
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 13
Blown Turbo

This is according tony mechanic: The bearing went out on my turbo and it caused the turbo to dump quarts of oil down the exhaust. My mechanic has since replaced the turbo and the truck is running great. My question is how long should it take for the oil to burn out of the exhaust? It still has "fresh" oil at the tailpipe. Paranoid that it is still leaking oil into the exhaust. Mechanic assures me that it is not.

Motor is a rebuilt 300 Tdi.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old April 7th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Overlander's Avatar
Overlander
Status: Offline
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 6,531
Registry
when this happens, you can't just replace the turbo and be done. He should have pulled the intercooler and all the hoses and cleaned them out. If he did not pull out the intercooler...well there you go. From the turbo it is a straight shot of pipe to the muffler and out.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old April 7th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Viton's Avatar
Viton
Status: Offline
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: La
Posts: 1,231
Heating up the exhaust system, after you clean out the intercooler & air intake pipes, will go a long way to getting the oil out of the exhaust system. Short runs around town will not help much, you're going to have to have sustained hot exhaust to "burn" it out.

Take a full tank of fuel, run it continuously in 3rd gear until consumed...... and call me in the morning.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old April 7th, 2012, 01:29 PM
mikeslandrover's Avatar
mikeslandrover
Status: Offline
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Oxted, Surrey, England, U.K
Posts: 1,756
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRover View Post
This is according tony mechanic: The bearing went out on my turbo and it caused the turbo to dump quarts of oil down the exhaust. My mechanic has since replaced the turbo and the truck is running great. My question is how long should it take for the oil to burn out of the exhaust? It still has "fresh" oil at the tailpipe. Paranoid that it is still leaking oil into the exhaust. Mechanic assures me that it is not.

Motor is a rebuilt 300 Tdi.
Lucky it wasn't the intake side. It would have enabled the engine to run on it's own engine oil probably revving to oblivion.

------ Follow up post added April 7th, 2012 06:33 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Heating up the exhaust system, after you clean out the intercooler & air intake pipes, will go a long way to getting the oil out of the exhaust system. Short runs around town will not help much, you're going to have to have sustained hot exhaust to "burn" it out.

Take a full tank of fuel, run it continuously in 3rd gear until consumed...... and call me in the morning.
The intercooler might not have much oil in it if it was the exhaust side that failed.

Might take quite a bit to burn the oil out of he exhaust.
__________________
Mike Hammond
Diesels.....great when they're going and so easy to work on.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old April 8th, 2012, 09:03 AM
FLRover
Status: Offline
Richard
None
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 13
Thank you for the information. Assuming he did not clean out the intercooler and pipes- is that as simple as removing a few clamps and hoses and then rinsing them with a hose? How would I check/clean out and residual oil. Assuming the full tank and 3rd gear means drive it around on the highway and that will burn the oil out of the exhaust.

Thanks again- appreciate the information for a rookie like me.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old April 8th, 2012, 10:33 AM
sonoronos's Avatar
sonoronos
Status: Offline
Ed
None
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 5,537
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRover View Post
is that as simple as removing a few clamps and hoses and then rinsing them with a hose?
you should be able to disconnect the lowest pipe on the intercooler. Put a finger in there and see if there is oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRover View Post
How would I check/clean out and residual oil.
You can feel it / see it on your finger. Water by itself won't clean out oil. Most people use mineral spirits or some other hydrocarbon based solvent.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old April 8th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Overlander's Avatar
Overlander
Status: Offline
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 6,531
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
You can feel it / see it on your finger. Water by itself won't clean out oil. Most people use mineral spirits or some other hydrocarbon based solvent.
yep. don't use water. you can use parts cleaner or the mineral spirits, or diesel. something like that. all you do is disconnect the intercooler hoses, then remove the the top slam panel that is over the radiator/intercooler assembly, and pull it out. Then put it on it's side outside the truck, and the cleaner and slosh it around like you were cleaning dishes. pretty simple.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old April 8th, 2012, 02:32 PM
mikeslandrover's Avatar
mikeslandrover
Status: Offline
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Oxted, Surrey, England, U.K
Posts: 1,756
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
yep. don't use water. you can use parts cleaner or the mineral spirits, or diesel. something like that. all you do is disconnect the intercooler hoses, then remove the the top slam panel that is over the radiator/intercooler assembly, and pull it out. Then put it on it's side outside the truck, and the cleaner and slosh it around like you were cleaning dishes. pretty simple.
Make sure you get all the solvent out before reconnecting the the intercooler or there would be a very nasty over revving accident waiting to happen.
I wouldn't run anywhere on the open highway in 3rd for long, just pick a route with plenty on long open roads where you can run at full throttle to build up some heat in the exhaust, a good blast will clear the soot from the exhaust for the MOT emission test.
__________________
Mike Hammond
Diesels.....great when they're going and so easy to work on.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY VNT turbo for 300TDI? jaherring Defender Technical Discussions 47 August 15th, 2013 07:26 PM
Turbo factoid Overlander Defender Technical Discussions 2 January 15th, 2011 01:32 AM
remote turbo? Rod Hayward Defender Technical Discussions 7 January 11th, 2005 04:16 PM
Project D90--high miles, blown engine, bad trans, rust, body damage evilfij Wanted 5 November 12th, 2004 09:26 AM
poor gas milage / blown head gasket? got a read diff for a 94 D90? rover_rich_d90 Defender Technical Discussions 7 April 20th, 2004 03:11 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:47 PM.


Copyright