Blown ignition coil - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 6th, 2016, 10:00 PM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

Blown ignition coil

Hi all. So I recently swapped out the distributor on the 94 D90 NAS. Went with a Mallory. I also got the other stuff that Mallory recommended for it including the ignition coil.

It ran awesome for 2-3 weekend. Strong. Then out of nowhere it stalled and wouldn't restart. No spark coming from the coil. Power going to it. Fried coil in a brand new setup? Mallory product. It also came with a resistor and a little black plastic box power thing (sorry not a mechanic).

So any thoughts as to why the coil is blown?

Thanks in advance.

-Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 6th, 2016, 10:29 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I'm switching my stuff out from Mallory - I'd suggested you do the same a while back. My truck was the most dependable car I'd ever had until the Mallory. Maybe it's because I never did the curve thing on it, but I also shouldn't need 2 coils, 2 ignition modules, etc. to have the thing run right for a bit. I'm switching back to OEM.
Old June 6th, 2016, 10:31 PM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
I'm switching my stuff out from Mallory - I'd suggested you do the same a while back. My truck was the most dependable car I'd ever had until the Mallory. Maybe it's because I never did the curve thing on it, but I also shouldn't need 2 coils, 2 ignition modules, etc. to have the thing run right for a bit. I'm switching back to OEM.

Oh man. I just switched to Mallory. OEM was blowing up my coils too. Now that I think of it, there has to be a deeper issue if different distributors are blowing up coils.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 7th, 2016, 08:01 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
I'm running their basic coil w/ zero issues. What coil has been giving you problems?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-634553849.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	151154  
Old June 7th, 2016, 09:37 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

I've had one of these in my truck now for a couple years. It has been fantastic. Maybe an alternative for you guys and your mallorys. OEM sucks.

Performance Distributors - Performance Distributors
Old June 7th, 2016, 10:09 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I had a Pertronix installed, I am going to fix the stock and reinstall. I dont know what it is about aftermarket coils and distributors and these trucks
Old June 7th, 2016, 10:39 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
I'm running their basic coil w/ zero issues. What coil has been giving you problems?
Haha did you not get my e-mail the other day? I'd asked you to document your set-up since you've seemed to not have issues.
Old June 7th, 2016, 10:41 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroPro View Post
Oh man. I just switched to Mallory. OEM was blowing up my coils too. Now that I think of it, there has to be a deeper issue if different distributors are blowing up coils.
Last time I'd asked you'd said you'd switched to Mallory like 5 years ago (albeit you may not have fully installed it due to training, etc.).
Old June 7th, 2016, 09:51 PM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Last time I'd asked you'd said you'd switched to Mallory like 5 years ago (albeit you may not have fully installed it due to training, etc.).

So true! But here's the funny part. It hasn't been running for 5 years. I bought the Mallory setup. Then my wife went and had twin girls. The D90 sat in a barn (literally) for a few years. Now she's back. So the Mallory is 4ish years old but brand new like 5 running hours ago.

Make sense?
Old June 8th, 2016, 12:34 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I have been running mallory for about 10 years or so. It is mostly solid, but components have died. I just changed my coil (first time away from stock)and I have had a ballast resistor fail. I used MSD Blaster 2 with ballast resistor since I was neaar a Pep Boys and it runs fine again. (It was stock coil, probably in the 200K range). Distributor seems to be flawless--I have had faults, but more me experimenting and not knowing what I was doing. And technical issues like not adjusting the timing advance in the coil and not knowing the difference on when I need a ballast resistor or not...

But as far as reliability, I wouldn't hesitate to do a mallory again.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
coil