Blown front diff AZ mnt side. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 29th, 2007, 03:14 PM
azD90
Kevin Houseal
1994/D90

Blown front diff AZ mnt side.

Was up on Mingus Mnt in Arizona yesterday and the shelf road wasn't quite challenging enough so just had to try the spur to see where it went. Bounced, slid, hung up on the edge of the road and foolishly blew up the diff trying to get back on the trail without rolling over. No one would come up so we limped down the mnt 9 miles at 10mph to a town. The diff cover is split wide open. At least we (wife and another couple) didn't have to walk out but I'll bet it ain't pretty in that front end.

The truck is 115 miles away in Cottonwood. Tow company is $400 and on it's way.

Any suggestions for the front fix as a starting point for my research? Stock, ARB, TruTrac from GRB? I know nothing of these. My mechanic here is an ex dealer tech so it will go there. (I see my new DSLR camera drifting away...$$$)

Stock truck, 94, stock size ProComp Tires, off road, trails, 7/10 rated at most. No boulder/rock crawling.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 29th, 2007, 03:56 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

hmm.. so, your front axle assembly is cracked right where the diff is? There may or may not be damage to the third member... im sure all the fluid leaked out which probably wasnt healthy for the carrier/ring&pinion/bearings ..

So you have two things to take care of... first is to fix the hole in the axle assembly.. not quite sure where it is, but if this will cover it, I'd recommend getting the Rover Tracks diff guard, which is a weld-on cover.. http://www.rovertracks.com/products/accessories.html (bottom)

Then you have to address the differential itself.. if it's not damaged, then its up to you if you want to upgrade.. your two options are TruTrac or ARB ... Trutrac is the cheapest and easiest solution... its basically 4 bolts, then setting the backlash, not a difficult job.. with the ARB you need to setup the air compressor, and plumb for it... you will also probably want heavy duty axles with the ARB... gets a lot more expensive. Bill at GBR is definitely a great resource for anything you need differential or axle related..

Good luck with it.. and remember everyone.. always have diff guards if you're going to wheel.
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old October 29th, 2007, 04:16 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

YOu could have pulled the diff and drove it in 2wd.
Advertisement

Old October 29th, 2007, 04:24 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
YOu could have pulled the diff and drove it in 2wd.
What do you do with a D90's halfshafts while pulling the diff, just remove them all together?

I know on the D2, since they are semi floaters and a pain to get off on the trail, if we pull a blown diff, we sleeve the halfshafts together with a PVC pipe (which is now carried whenever we wheel).
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Old October 29th, 2007, 04:46 PM
azD90
Kevin Houseal
1994/D90

I don't think a Diff guard would have saved it, didn't hit anything, just stressed it and blew from inside out. I thought about getting it into 2 wheel mode to get it home but wondered about the half shafts and hubs. Don't know enough about it. I'll have to see what got torn up once it gets down here.

I'll look into the TruTrac and give Bill @ GRB a call. If it's only a few hundred more I'd just as soon have the lock, but if it gets much more than that I don't know that I really need them. A winch would have saved all of this trouble as I was looking right at a nice tree the whole time, the come-along didn't have the juice to pull me up (but did keep me from rolling)... lessons learned!

Thanks for the tips.

Kevin
Old October 29th, 2007, 04:50 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Trutrac should cost about $450 ... The cost of rebuilding the diff all depends on what decided to break... you may want to try to source a parted out third member, they generally go for cheap.. Get yours looked at, and see what you are in for..
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Old October 31st, 2007, 11:04 AM
azD90
Kevin Houseal
1994/D90

Update...Ok, mechanic says ring/pinion gears are shot so wanted me just to find a bolt on rebuilt diff - which I have found at Roverland in FL. My axle housing cover is split, I shouldn't have to buy a whole new axel assembly should I? Can't I get something like Rovers North Weld on Diff Cover? http://www.roversnorth.com/store/pc-...fill-hole.aspx

btw, the Detroit TruTrac are sold out nationwide and Eaton won't have any to ship until late December.

Thanks.
Old October 31st, 2007, 11:13 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Someone here might have a stock diff for you after swapping in an ARB or something. I would post a wanted ad and see what happens. Also, occasionally people have sold complete 3rd members on here with lockers in them...just a thought.
Old October 31st, 2007, 11:29 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
So...was it challenging enough? Time to get a winch as well.
Old October 31st, 2007, 12:08 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs
I would get an 8" weld on pipe cap to fix the housing. You could check arround to see if anyone is parting out a disco or a 94-95 RRC for a cheap front diff (any 24spline front will work incl the 4 pinion from a 4.6 P38). If you are going to upgrade, my vote is for an ARB.

-Jeff
Listen to the man...he speak'a 'da troof.
Old November 1st, 2007, 02:44 PM
azD90
Kevin Houseal
1994/D90

My vote is for the ARB too but the chief accountant at home may not agree!!
My guy says he can weld anything except the crack of dawn so we're going to try that for the broken case. I was leaning towards the pipe cap.
I'm still considering the TruTracs if I could find one. If not, I'll definately be putting the $ towards a winch / bumper. Probably will anyway.

Ryan - looks like you nailed about every issue!

-kevin
Old November 1st, 2007, 02:51 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Any diff upgrade besides a 4 pin open carrier will likely require an axle upgrade..

I sell sewercaps too

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old November 1st, 2007, 02:56 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
My old axles are sitting at RDS, George will probably sell them cheap if you just want an EZ bolt-in solution in the short term. Then you build up your spare set as time/$$/SWMBO allow.
Old November 6th, 2007, 11:53 AM
azD90
Kevin Houseal
1994/D90

Update...shop says front axles are twisted and can't be removed so I need to find a complete axle assembly, housing and all. Does this sound right or are they just looking for a bolt on answer? I do believe the axles are twisted, we drove quite a ways down the mnt and she locked up twice momentarily. Looking at the spline end, it is up against the casing wall. Has any one heard of not being able to get the axles out?

Thanks again. -Kevin
Old November 6th, 2007, 11:59 AM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

I think they are being a bit lazy, pull the Swivel balls weld an attachment point on to the axle and go at it with a slide hammer..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old November 6th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Well, the question is, is the housing bent too? I had a Mustang that the PO had run over a curb (or several) with and the housing itself was bent. It was not noticeable until the shop went to install the 31 splines and Auburn Pro. When he saw the wear on the axles he took another look at the housing and we determined it was bent. If the housing is bent it will just damage the new parts, so that is really the determining factor.
Old November 6th, 2007, 07:48 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
if the damage is really that bad, I'd go for a used housing (or whole axle assembly). I believe you can get them at a reasonable price.

charles
Old November 6th, 2007, 10:12 PM
texmoto
david summers
99 Discovery II

Got to car-parts.com. It's a salvage yard search engine. I believe the axel housing is exactly the same as the Disco I. BTW, I Expedition Exchange should have some front Tru Tracs on the shelf. The nationwide back order has been going on for a while, and I bought one from them in Sept. However, their price is high. Haven't seen them going for $450 for a while now.
David

Follow-up Post:

My bad. Its car-part.com I see a front axel housing in Phoenix for $250. Hope this helps.
Old November 9th, 2007, 03:32 PM
azD90
Kevin Houseal
1994/D90

Can anyone confirm a Disco I has the same axle as my D90??

Those I can find and as David pointed out, they're le$$ too. I'm going to stop by the Dealer on the way home but wanted to check with the Pros 1st.

kevin
Old November 9th, 2007, 03:35 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

They are the same Kevin The only differences are that the upper Swivel pins in Discos are Railko type bushings and the CV's will have tone rings on them for the ABS.. Same as a 97 D90

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions