Blowing the gauge/brake light/blinker fuse - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 20th, 2008, 11:39 AM
R-C
Chris Schramm
1995 D-90 ST

Smile Blowing the gauge/brake light/blinker fuse

Hey guys, I need some help. My 90 is blowing the fuse that controls the brake lights, blinkers, and fuel/temp guages. The fuse blows immediately when turning the ignition to on and before using either the brakes or turning on the blinkers, so I suspect the wiring related to the two guages. Any suggestions on where to begin? Anyone had a similar situation?

I suspected the rear center brake light fixture because it has some corrosion, but ruled that out because the fuse blows without activating the brake lights. Am I right to rule it out? Any other way that circuit could be the problem?

Thanks in advance, my arm is getting tired of being the brake light and turn signals.....
1995 D-90 ST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Pat
Patrick M.
D90 '96 300Tdi 5 speed

+12 goes to ground somewhere...
with everything off, unplug the fuse, connect a 12v test lamp where the fuse was connected and check everything related to that fuse until you will find the problem where the test lamp goes off.
Old May 20th, 2008, 01:15 PM
R-C
Chris Schramm
1995 D-90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
+12 goes to ground somewhere...
with everything off, unplug the fuse, connect a 12v test lamp where the fuse was connected and check everything related to that fuse until you will find the problem where the test lamp goes off.
so that is very helpful...and reminds me that the circuit problem could be anywhere despite the "off" or "on" position...starting with my brake light suspicion...stay tuned.
1995 D-90 ST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Pat
Patrick M.
D90 '96 300Tdi 5 speed

well, no really anywhere; the attached image can help you finding where the problem can be located
Pat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	circuit.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	13556  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
brake, ht, wing