Blower Motor speeds??? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old January 20th, 2011, 11:17 PM
1994 D90 ST and 1997 D90 ST
Blower Motor speeds???

Can anyone tell me how many speeds the blower is to have? I have two D90s and both seem to only work on two speeds and only come on when you pull the lever down the whole way. Thanks!

Old January 20th, 2011, 11:36 PM
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234
  1. slow
  2. Just a little faster

bad electrical connections will create resistance that slows your blower even more

let me also say that will a proper insulation job in your cabin, your heater is plenty hot enough. At 15F my wife asks me to turn off the heater after about 10 minutes of driving, and that's with a diesel. of course, the webasto gets me there pretty quick before we even get in.

Old January 21st, 2011, 12:05 AM
Michael White
110 Tdi
I replaced both the switch and heater box assembly (motor & resistor pack) with new parts from RDS, and it has two speeds:

- Barely moves the air
- What I would call "medium" in any other car

In cold weather, I keep it on the second setting and just adjust the temperature. Keeps the interior warm enough down here.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the
black flag and start slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken
Old January 21st, 2011, 02:56 AM
Jason Lavender
D-90 Source Vendor
Ha this is funny, I was recently wondering the same thing myself on my diesel 110. So mine isnt the only one with 2 painfully slow speeds.
Jason Lavender
'71 Series IIA
'88 127 #F96 DKN
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE
(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")
SDO Instagram
SDO Facebook
Old January 21st, 2011, 06:06 AM
83 110
I was thinking about trying this!

I have an extra RHD heater and switch I may have my electronics teacher look at and see if it can be modified.
Old January 21st, 2011, 06:15 AM
I find it funny, you move the lever 90%for level 1, and only if you push it all the way do you get level 2, opening up the bulkhead behind the air box makes a huge difference. When we convert them we always make this modification, changes the air flow tremendously.
Old January 21st, 2011, 02:07 PM
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top
The owners manual says the lever has four positions.
1 - off
2 - allows air flow into cabin from movement of vehicle
3 - slow
4 - fast
Old January 21st, 2011, 05:37 PM
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team
although fast seems like an asthmatic kitten breathing it's reasonably effective.
Old January 21st, 2011, 06:15 PM
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
When the switch is in proper shape, there are solid distinctive clicks at each speed setting.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 10:54 AM
D90 SW -- 2.8PS
The first "long slide" to click (1) has nothing to do with the motor or electronics. It is a cable actuated flap in the heater box that opens and closes how much air enters the box from the outside.

The second click (2) turns on the blower motor to it's first "slow" setting.

The third click (3) turns on the blower motor to "fast" setting.

Sometimes the cable brakes or is maladjusted and can "block" air coming in altogether making the system inefficient.

Also, the switch mechanism over time can become gummed up making it difficult to slide or detect the three distinct settings. I just installed a new one and it is night and day difference.

I'm open minded but pessimistic that a new blower will take care of heating issues. From what I've seen and read the Rover blower is actually fairly robust and bullet proof. Look at all the abuse it takes. Most people may not realize that when it rains or you go through a car wash the blower motor literally gets drowned in water and crud. Even though there is a "valve" to drain it is pathetic and useless.

I believe the biggest limitation to the heater is the matrix itself, ie it's size. You can blow all you want, but if the matrix is too cool for the CFM the air will be cool or warm at best. This is also assuming the matrix isn't blocked or clogged.

Also, the plenum system and foot well vents are horribly inefficient combined with the defrost vents. This would be very difficult to correct without a total redesign.

GKase I believe may have chucked the whole heater box and blower for a Heatercraft and I'd be curious to hear if that has been a big improvement.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 11:20 AM
Greg Liebig
95 D90
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
  1. queef

2. fart

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions