Blocking Cab Heat... Exmoor moulded matting? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 25th, 2011, 07:38 PM
kinetic
Kinetic Adventures
TDI's

Blocking Cab Heat... Exmoor moulded matting?

Been reading a bit on the subject, but trying to get some current opinions on how to keep the heat in the SW to a bearable level. I've seen people use products like Lizard Skin, Dynamat, etc. - then cover with rhino liner or the like. I am worried about the occasional water that gets onto the floor, so whatever I go with, I have to make sure I won't be promoting a rusty environment down here in damp south FL. The floor / bulkhead behind the gas pedal had to be over 120 degrees today... and it's December! Wondering if anyone has experience with the exmoor moulded / insulated matting (like Safari Resto sells). Maybe something like this over a thermal barrier? Any help / suggestions of things to look into, or even stay away from would be greatly, greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much in advance

-Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 29th, 2011, 02:49 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Possibly wrapping part of the exhaust - Not all but from the behind the Cats to the Y pipe.
Think about the exterior and ways to deflect heat from the firewall.
I put some reflective material on the firewall and above the tranny to reflect the heat downward. I think I picked up some stuff at summit or crutchfield.
Also, you may want to mount a few of the asbestos type silver heat reflectors around the top part of the cat to keep the heat out of the cab.
I couldn't imagine driving one of these in FL. O and Go USF bulls (alumni .
Old December 29th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

If you are too hot you can use the reflective matting on the transmission hump, and the firewall. You can use it on the floorboards but if you make it removable so you can take it up after the rains. That, I would think, should take care of it.
Advertisement

Old December 29th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

summit and jegs both carry exterior and interior heat resistant stick on padding, they also carry underhood heat pads
Old December 29th, 2011, 11:58 AM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
Well at least someone is getting to much heat outta Rover! I've been working hard to kept a bit of warm in my 110 for years.. There`s no justice in this world......
Old December 29th, 2011, 02:36 PM
kinetic
Kinetic Adventures
TDI's

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNRover View Post
Well at least someone is getting to much heat outta Rover! I've been working hard to kept a bit of warm in my 110 for years.. There`s no justice in this world......
Haha... The grass is always greener!

Thanks for all of the suggestions... Quick question tho, how does the heat insulation hold up on the outside of the vehicle with respect to mud and general offroading?

I think I may get the exmoor matting anyway since most of the carpet is shot in the front. Wasn't too sure how some of these Interior insulatin sheets hold up with respect to moisture after getting wet - I do like the idea of not permanently attaching them if using on the interior.

Anyone used Lizard Skin with success or failure? Heard Dynamat wasn't too great with blocking heat.

As always, thanks so much in advance!

Aaron

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
exmoor