Block sealant (was coolant gasses in rad) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 27th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Block sealant (was coolant gasses in rad)

Well, I FULLY flushed out all the coolant, opening both engine drain plugs and flushing tons of water through the engine and radiator. I then added K&W Block Sealant (also known as liquid glass) and ran the engine at idle for about 40 minutes then drained and let dry 6-24 hours. I let it dry 46 hours. I just flushed, refilled and then fitted a "proper" resevoir--I picked up one of those big black range rover resevoirs that hook into the lower radiator hose and then I cut the suction hose for the heater and "T"ed it into it. I refilled everything. I just ran the truck on the freeway (it just started snowing again in Colorado) for about 20 minute to a store and then home and the fluid levels look right and I used my block tester and it showed no signs of gasses in the exhaust. In otherwords, so far it looks like it solved my leaky block (either a porous block or a slipped cylinder are most likely causes). I will give a couple of follow ups to this post to check the progress in case anyone else wants to try out this method. I will take the truck to work tomorrow to truly check it out (45 minutes each way on freeway).

Best regards,
C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2005, 11:13 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Wow, good news Chris. Hoping to hear that this is a permanent fix!!

Doug W.
Old April 27th, 2005, 11:27 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Sweet! Glad to hear it's on the road again.

Now, what's this about a different reservoir? Perking my interest there.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2005, 11:55 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Well, those small crappy metal ones are just too tiny and there is no recyling back of fluid. New radiator coolant resevoirs typically have an overflow into the fluid and then a return back into the system (usually this return is into the lower radiator hose on the suction side of the pump from the radiator, but that proved too complicated a splice so I tapped into the suction side of the heater hose at the recommendation of my buddy who I trust). The heater hose is a 3/4" ID which I used a 3/4" T and then a 3/4-5/8" reducer since the resevoir takes a 5/8" ID hose. This resevoir takes the discovery cap. It is sitting just a little high under the hood, but I will tweak down lower later.

Now when the radiator fluid expands, it fills the tank and when it cools it recirculates right back into the system. Not that the old style does not work, just not as well IMHO.
Old April 28th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

After 100 miles of freeway and street in a day, everything is fine. I don't want to jinx it now, so I will give everyone an update on this type of product in a month or so after trail testing. So far, two thumbs up!
Old May 15th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I just went up Carnage Canyon and had a great, warm day out. No overheating, no radiator fluid loss, no exhaust gasses in the coolant. So far so good. I would recommend this stuff pretty hardily right now, and will give everyone a check-back in about 6-months.
Old April 6th, 2006, 01:08 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Just checking back with you all--still no problems and I don't treat the truck too gingerly, either.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
coolant, gas