Bleeding TDI Fuel System - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 16th, 2010, 04:40 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Bleeding TDI Fuel System

I recently opened the valve on the fuel filter of my 200 tdi to check for sediment. I also opened my fuel sedimentator and removed dirt from it and metal particles from the magnet. Someone had suggested that I bleed the fuel system or manually prime the pump after these procedures. I didn't as I replaced the fuel filter formerly and there was no apparent ill effect related to not priming. In fact, the car only sputtered a few seconds until fuel got back into the system, and the truck ran fine. Fast forward to the most recent filter/sedimentator cleaning. After cleaning, the truck ran fine. Now(a week later), however, the car sometimes runs a few seconds upon start up and then sputters to a stop. Sometimes I have to start the car 3 or 4 times until it keeps running. I am wondering if this is a result of air in the system. It has also turned colder here, so maybe I just didn't let the glow plugs warm sufficiently. Anyway I would welcome advice on bleeding or priming the fuel system and any direction on exactly how I would go about doing that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 16th, 2010, 05:15 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
More likely to be the result of an air leak in the fuel system.
Old October 19th, 2010, 01:00 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

So... how do you track down an air leak? I have had a similar problem since I did my 300TDI conversion (first it started poorly... then for about a week it was perfect and I barely touched the key... now it's starting poorly *and* idling poorly).

I am waiting for a new lift pump and filter to arrive, but in the mean time, what to look for in an air leak? I don't see any signs of fuel dripping at any of the connections I can see (can't visually inspect the top of the gas tank).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 19th, 2010, 01:07 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Most of the fuel system is under suction so see if any unions are loose. The plastic tube shouldn't be able to rotate on the metal spigot, if it can it could draw in air. That's bad
Old October 21st, 2010, 04:38 AM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

Hmm, I think I remember at least one plastic tube rotating on a banjo fitting...
Old October 21st, 2010, 04:47 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Try putting some silicon sealant around the joint. See if that helps.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bleed, fuel, tdi