Blackened, Stainless Roll Cage Bolts! - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 22nd, 2006, 10:44 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepeytr
From the photos I've seen, I'm getting the feeling the 90's cage does more to make us feel safe than it actually does to keep us safe. I assume it would be strong enough to provide adequate protection in an off-road, low speed rollover, but the wrecked D90's I've seen don't make me feel safe.

But I digress, these photos seem to show that several of the bolts in the roll cage failed in this accident. I found these photos on the web awhile back, maybe someone remembers the truck and what happened to it, but I never knew the circumstances of the accident (if someone does, I'd like to hear them, were the occupants okay). It seems pretty clear to me though that several of the bolts holding the roll cage sections together failed..

http://img1.putfile.com/main/9/26413082691.jpg

http://img1.putfile.com/main/9/26413082678.jpg

http://img1.putfile.com/main/9/26413082792.jpg

More photos in the gallary:

http://www.putfile.com/lrnad90/images/24328
I don't know anything at all about the yellow one in the pics. I hope the driver was okay (if there was one at the time). But you are absolutely right about the stock roll cages on the Defender. They were put in place to make minimum crash safety requirements. They might save your life, but they fold up very easy. I think that anyone that wheels a lot with a family should get a better cage made. The sad part is that you could have the exact stock one made, just fully welded with the right material and wall thickness and it would take care of you and probably your truck. But, that does not have too much to do with bolts.....

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 23rd, 2006, 12:42 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffer
Do you know if those are Hurricane Katrina trucks? Those 50 to 60' tall pine trees did the same thing to the houses they fell on.

I agree, a bolt together NAS cage can't be nearly as strong as a full welded rock crawler or race car cage.
I don't know, it may have been. This Truck definately looks like it fell victum to a very large tree falling upon it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
I don't know anything at all about the yellow one in the pics. I hope the driver was okay (if there was one at the time). But you are absolutely right about the stock roll cages on the Defender. They were put in place to make minimum crash safety requirements. They might save your life, but they fold up very easy. I think that anyone that wheels a lot with a family should get a better cage made. The sad part is that you could have the exact stock one made, just fully welded with the right material and wall thickness and it would take care of you and probably your truck. But, that does not have too much to do with bolts.....
I'm sure it is substantially better than the UK trucks with no rollover protection. It really escapes me (other than the almighty dollar) why Safety devices would go so far as to build a cage that ties into the frame of the truck, yet yields so easily in a rollover. Most J##Ps factory bars that I have are just attached to the body's floor pan, can't imagine this being worth even as much as the NAS D90 cages. Why not finish the job and build a solid cage?? Just venting I guess..

Old December 4th, 2006, 11:09 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Where did we land on this? I am preparing to re-attach my rollcage and have several of the original bolts that are not going to be suitable for reuse. RN quoted me something outrageous to replace the 40 odd bolts.

Much of the technical content on this bolt thread is the deep end of the pool for me and definately over my head. If I understand JPs response correctly, the class 12.9 hex socket bolts are rated at 175,000 psi. This would be good, correct?

I guess where I am going with this is if I were looking to replace all bolts and did not care if they were cosmetically similar to the factory bolts, what is a good option that is not going to kill me, both literally (weak bolt) and financially?

Thanks,
Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 4th, 2008, 12:15 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Was a decision ever made on whether these bolts could be replaced with stainless? If so where can you get them?
Old January 4th, 2008, 12:29 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
No, there was no decision made. With all the worry over them, I dont want to want to claim they are OK and take responsibility for the claim. For myself, I'm certain they are fine. For you, I dont know.

Old January 4th, 2008, 12:36 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I was looking at Mattdh's 1995 d90 sw pastel green truck. I like the look of the stainless bolts ont eh cage. Me want!!!!!!
Old January 4th, 2008, 12:50 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Bright stainless can be ordered from Mcmaster.com. I think that the hex head cap screws look the best since torx isnt available in stainless. I can never remember what size the bolts are, they're either 10 or 12mm - mostly 30mm in length I think.

Old January 4th, 2008, 01:17 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

what about thread pitch and nuts?
Old January 4th, 2008, 02:25 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Most metric fasteners have a single pitch associated with them. Non-standard items can be identifed because they are more expensive. If you go to sears and get a thread pitch guage you'll never be wrong. I would also recommend an inexpensive set of calipers for measuring inside and outside diameters.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...+Taps+%26+Dies

Follow-up Post:

And all you have to do is get matching nuts, but only some locations use nuts, most use welded in captive nuts. Recommend some anti-sieze for your installation.

Old January 4th, 2008, 02:30 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I'm game for the stainless if you still want to do a buy Jim. Grade 8 will do nothing for the cage in a rollover in my opinion.
Old January 4th, 2008, 02:40 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

on the mcmaster site there are different pitches

Metric Thread Pitch
.8 mm
1 mm
1.25 mm
1.5 mm
1.75 mm
Old January 4th, 2008, 02:57 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Totally Stainless indicated that they'd be more than happy to do a batch of specially blackened fasteners for me (its about 175 minimum for a run of fasteners, so a few people have to be in on it to get a good deal). Being in Russia, I'm not in a good position to organize a group buy right now, but I'd commit to a couple trucks worth of fastners if someone else wants to do it. TS uses a special powder-coating process for show-quality black fasteners.

It was Totally Stainless that advised me that only hex-head bolts carry the full strength rating - since the OEM fastener is a Torx head, its already much weaker than an equivalent size hex head bolt, and they wouldnt feel uncomfortable replacing such a fastener with stainless.

Someone here offered to do a comparitive strength test if I could supply the bolts, but I never had the chance to follow through.

Old January 4th, 2008, 03:29 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

two things:
what is this roll cage painted with and what type of stinaless bolts are these?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04261.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	11533  
Old January 4th, 2008, 03:41 PM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

cage is painted with rhino liner or something like it. They look like stainless HEX drive bolts. They don't really look like torx. Kinda tough to tell from the picture but it's def. rhino liner. There was a truck on eBay a while back a yellow one that was totally rhino lined. Bumpers, tire carrier, roll cage, mirrors, you name it it was rhino lined. Like they had stock in it or something!

nice color....mint green....miami green? how would you describe that?
certainly different.
Old January 4th, 2008, 03:53 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

If you do a search you can find it. It belongs to a guy on the board. It is pastel green. Now if you rhino line the cage can it still rust?
Old January 4th, 2008, 04:14 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

yes its pastel green. they are hex bolts. the coating is line-x and its galvanized under it- so no rust. and this is my 90. sorry for not getting back to you yet- barry.
Old January 4th, 2008, 04:18 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Thanaks Matt

That is one bad ass set up
Old January 4th, 2008, 04:20 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
The areas that are exposed (not rhinoed) will be susceptible to rust.

Although I'm not a fan of using it on the roll cage, look at Line-x over Rhino liner, IMO it's better. Also, it's possible for them to make the texture more or less grainy, thus cutting down on the Rhino look.

Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf
If you do a search you can find it. It belongs to a guy on the board. It is pastel green. Now if you rhino line the cage can it still rust?
Old January 4th, 2008, 05:52 PM
surf110
Ze
130 Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdh
yes its pastel green. they are hex bolts. the coating is line-x and its galvanized under it- so no rust. and this is my 90. sorry for not getting back to you yet- barry.

Did you have to prep the galvanizing before applying Line-X?
Old January 5th, 2008, 09:36 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

i asked them if i needed to do any prep before they line-xed. the said no. im not sure if they did anything but it seems to have bonded really well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, bolts, cage