Black wingtops (powdercoating?) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 20th, 2006, 10:21 AM
trislerjw
JT
97 D-90 ST

Black wingtops (powdercoating?)

Hey guys, I searched all the threads and couldnt come up with an answer. I have Silver wintops, and I want them black. I will be buying the sill guards and rear wingtips as well, but again I want them all in black, but can't find them to buy.
1. would it be better to just buy them, (keeping my originals as well) and have them all powdercoated? (no idea on cost there), I want to redo all the black honestly (ARB bumper "driver cage" etc tire carrier {prolly gonna buy one from ECR}). or to just buy black ones (which i cannot find) and sell or trade with you guys my silver ones. (9 out of 10 shape). or... I noticed some people just painting themselves. if so what paint, does it last? does it look good? better than powdercoating?
And if mike from ECR reads this, I wanted to buy some LED's from the site (cost?), but couldnt find how. and the rear tire carrier, (should fit my super swamper spare?) I use all red lights on the rear.
ok lots of questions I know, but im a newbie modder. will put pics on this weekend, if not by the end of the day to show what im trying to do. (and undo from the last owner).
Thanks
-Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 20th, 2006, 10:35 AM
misfit
steven portz
1995 D90 soft top

just paint them i did and it turned out decint and it's cheaper but use primer first
Old October 20th, 2006, 10:39 AM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trislerjw
Hey guys, I searched all the threads and couldnt come up with an answer. I have Silver wintops, and I want them black. I will be buying the sill guards and rear wingtips as well, but again I want them all in black, but can't find them to buy.
1. would it be better to just buy them, (keeping my originals as well) and have them all powdercoated? (no idea on cost there), I want to redo all the black honestly (ARB bumper "driver cage" etc tire carrier {prolly gonna buy one from ECR}). or to just buy black ones (which i cannot find) and sell or trade with you guys my silver ones. (9 out of 10 shape). or... I noticed some people just painting themselves. if so what paint, does it last? does it look good? better than powdercoating?
And if mike from ECR reads this, I wanted to buy some LED's from the site (cost?), but couldnt find how. and the rear tire carrier, (should fit my super swamper spare?) I use all red lights on the rear.
ok lots of questions I know, but im a newbie modder. will put pics on this weekend, if not by the end of the day to show what im trying to do. (and undo from the last owner).
Thanks
-Jason
I posted black wingtops, sill protectors, 1//4 panel protectors in the Vendor Loft a while ago.
Advertisement

Old October 20th, 2006, 10:48 AM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

I used primer and then the flat black engine block paint on my spare tire carrier and that stuff is tough. I have been pretty pleased so far.
Old October 20th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Ntajeep
Matthew Bremner
1997 AA Yellow D90

I had mine annodized and it turned out really well, although it is obviously more costly than just painting it. If you need a pic let me know.

-Matt
Old October 20th, 2006, 01:26 PM
trislerjw
JT
97 D-90 ST

tops

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC
I posted black wingtops, sill protectors, 1//4 panel protectors in the Vendor Loft a while ago.
those look great john, thats exactly what i'm lookin for. I'd want it all but the hood top. Would it fit fine on a 97 st? price w/o the hood top shipped?
trislerjw@yahoo.com
-Jason
Old October 22nd, 2006, 01:05 PM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

I powder coated mine....looks great
Think it was about $40
Old October 22nd, 2006, 05:13 PM
trislerjw
JT
97 D-90 ST

pc

Quote:
Originally Posted by btate
I powder coated mine....looks great
Think it was about $40
body shop do that?
Old October 22nd, 2006, 05:59 PM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

I am in boat making part of the world, had a T-top fabricator slip it in with his order.
Usually he powdercoats white, but they just waited till they had a batch of black and slid them in with the other stuff.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 01:55 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trislerjw
those look great john, thats exactly what i'm lookin for. I'd want it all but the hood top. Would it fit fine on a 97 st? price w/o the hood top shipped?
trislerjw@yahoo.com
-Jason
Jason,

The total shipping for the sill protectors, wingtop protectors and 1/4 panel protectors is $25 to Indianapolis (zip 46202).

Thanks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, wing