Black 'Goop' under clutch/brake pedal Boxes? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 26th, 2009, 11:12 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Black 'Goop' under clutch/brake pedal Boxes?

What is the black 'goop' between the clutch & brake pedal boxes and the bulkhead? IsS that the infamous Hylomar? I'm getting ready to do the clutch master, and understand the easiest way is to remove the pedeal boxes, what should I use to 'reseal' teeh pedal box to bulkhead union? Thanks..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 26th, 2009, 11:49 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

It looks like "right stuff" to me although on mine, it is harder, any black hardening silicone would work or you could just buy the proper gaskets. Hylomar is translucent blue.
Old April 26th, 2009, 11:57 AM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepeytr
What is the black 'goop' between the clutch & brake pedal boxes and the bulkhead? IsS that the infamous Hylomar? I'm getting ready to do the clutch master, and understand the easiest way is to remove the pedeal boxes, what should I use to 'reseal' teeh pedal box to bulkhead union? Thanks..
It's black 3M strip caulk, A.K.A" Monkey Poop". Not right stuff....
Advertisement

Old April 26th, 2009, 02:08 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
It looks like "right stuff" to me although on mine, it is harder, any black hardening silicone would work or you could just buy the proper gaskets. Hylomar is translucent blue.
So whatever I have there is not stock then? I bought the truck used (in '97 so it was two years old at the time). From what I've seen I'm probably going to have to pull the brake Pedal box off to get at teh Clutch Master, so I will need to reseal both. Fromt he factory there was a gasket? No Sealer other than that? Anyone have the P/N? Thanks..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 26th, 2009, 03:39 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

I already told you, strip caulk. That's what you need when refitting the pedal box. You'll also need 3M general purpose adhesive remover for the stuff that's on there right now.
Old April 26th, 2009, 09:29 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWR
I already told you, strip caulk. That's what you need when refitting the pedal box. You'll also need 3M general purpose adhesive remover for the stuff that's on there right now.
Some of them came from the factory with right stuff or some sort of hardening silicone or there was a TSB to recaulk them with right stuff. I assume that is what he has based on his description. My 1995 has it caulked with what looks like hardened right stuff and I have seen it on other trucks. When it is done it looks like someone just caulked it with black caulk. Factory maybe have been strip caulk as that is what appears to be on the donor 110, but the one I took apart (#1466) had a gasket (who knows if it was original). The bottom line is that the gasket, right stuff or strip caulk (provided there are no gaps) will all work. Choose your poison. The yellow is like right stuff and the white looks like it is strip caulk.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	right stuff pedal boxes small.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	19071   Click image for larger version

Name:	strip caulk small.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	19072  

Old April 26th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Yeah, looks like Right Stuff to me too. Considering Right Stuff seems to be the preferred (by technicians) method to seal just about everything on these trucks, I would say it would be fine. In fact, considering LR's track record with gaskets, it is probably a lot better than any gasket LR offers.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, brake, clutch