Black exhaust 97 NAS - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 18th, 2014, 04:26 PM
Spenc1tj
TJ Spencer
1997 NAS Defender

Yeah, she's a tricky gremlin and in hoping it's not because of water damage. The comp under the passenger seat has been fully submerged a few times. I'm going to start testing grounds this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 18th, 2014, 04:32 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenc1tj View Post
Ok I still don't get it. The exhaust was black well before I had the cat hollowed . The exhaust shop hollowed it because it was clogging up. I would not think of hollowing it to make it louder . The hollow one actually sounds like crap because you can hear the exhaust flowing through and almost makes it sound like a leak. So throwing the hollow cat out of the equation and the only code I'm throwing is the ecu having communication problems from a twitchy ground what are the other possibilities? I was thinking plugs, wires and coils would be a good idea but this engine only has 20k miles on it and was installed by LR so that's probably nothing to do with it. I still plan on doing coils,wires and plugs since the engine was installed back in 02 or 03.
I guess I've always figured that all defenders had dark exhaust. Any other suggestion out there?

Perhaps I misunderstood the information,

Here is what I gather,
You had a Check Engine light on since 2002, reset 2 weeks ago
You have a Service Engine light on NOW (which, according to the Owners manual, is a reminder for emissions service)

The 'hollow cat' seems like an interesting choice (I realize it was recommended to you)
The issue is the engine running rich, it seems, and producing carbon.

The temp sensor is a viable solution, I would start there since you have a part number in this thread and its inexpensive ($20)

I am sure if your exhaust is that black, your plugs are filthy, but my suggestion of replacing the o2 and checking the MAF sensor (you can clean them usually) stands as it would cause the symptoms you are describing.

I mean unfortunately you are going to have to wait till the CEL comes on to read the code again and see if one of the sensors is faulty.
Old April 18th, 2014, 04:41 PM
Spenc1tj
TJ Spencer
1997 NAS Defender

Thanks ! I'm going to replace the temp sensor for sure this weekend. I'll try and clean the O2 sensors this weekend too if I can get them out. Spark plugs, wires and coils will happen sometime this summer. Also to be clear, the service engine soon light has been on as long as the check engine. You never know with this thing ever since the fire you know? The entire wiring harness and dash had to be replaced so the chance of electrical gremlins is very high I would think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 18th, 2014, 04:42 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Yeah, she's a tricky gremlin and in hoping it's not because of water damage. The comp under the passenger seat has been fully submerged a few times. I'm going to start testing grounds this weekend.
also check the wiring on the o2 sensors, they do melt if they are run incorrectly, sometimes very discretely too.

------ Follow up post added April 18th, 2014 02:43 PM ------

Quote:
Thanks ! I'm going to replace the temp sensor for sure this weekend. I'll try and clean the O2 sensors this weekend too if I can get them out. Spark plugs, wires and coils will happen sometime this summer. Also to be clear, the service engine soon light has been on as long as the check engine. You never know with this thing ever since the fire you know? The entire wiring harness and dash had to be replaced so the chance of electrical gremlins is very high I would think.
I don't think you can clean o2 sensors but I don't know that for a fact... also NEVER SEIZE and pb blast them the night before if you want to take them out. I have uttered more expletives at frozen sensors than can ever be repeated...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions