Bio-Diesel - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 19th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Bio-Diesel

Anyone here running 100% bio-diesel in their 300Tdi? Did you need to make any modifications to the fuel system. other than for cold weather requirements?

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 19th, 2007, 08:20 AM
draaronr
Here
LR3

While I can't say I have, I run homebrew b100 in my 96 mercedes and I have seen no difference in power or mileage. I am hoping to do a vehicle swap and get a 300tdi, or just see if ole pendy can't get on in my truck for me.
Old April 19th, 2007, 08:33 AM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Craig Reece of Plant Drive is running bio in his 300tdi, roverhybrids on this board built his truck.

www.plantdrive.com

www.roverhybrids.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 19th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

Craig uses BD to startup on, then he switches over to SVO/WVO.
Old April 19th, 2007, 08:59 AM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

right, hence the smell of french fries trailing him!
Old April 19th, 2007, 12:42 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I've run a lot of bio through my engine, perhaps 15k miles or so. It appears to have eaten the fuel return hoses on top of the motor, so I replaced the with Viton and some little hose clamps.

There are quite a few threads on using bio, a search will turn up a lot of info.
Old April 19th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Doh! I guess I was brain dead this morning and didn't do a search. Sorry.
Draaronr, I'm planning on doing my own, and building my own system. Any information you've gathered would be appreciated (I saw you post in another thread about building your own "refinery"). I'm thinking my days as a pipefitter in chemical plants will come in handy.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old April 19th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

Hey Jim - What type of fuel return hoses did you have on your motor to begin with? Did you have the rigid plastic ones that have "SAE J 1394 Type A 6mm OD" written on the side? How long did it take for bio to eat through? What bio mix were you running? B20, B50, B100?
Old April 19th, 2007, 02:22 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
the return hoses didnt have any exterior markings, but they had a fabric wrapping on them. They started to get gummy pretty early on, and then started to crack and disintegrate at the ends.

I'm taking about the fuel return hoses that run between the injectors, just to be specific, there are only 3 and they are each about 4 inches long.

When I filled up with bio, it would always be B100 or B99. Of course I'd dilute it with regular diesel sometimes depending on where I was when I needed a fill, so it would intermix.
Old April 19th, 2007, 02:46 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

The B100 I was running last year did the same thing to my fuel injector return hoses - they are some oddball metric size like 4mm. I was able to find 4 mm Viton hose at Mcmaster-Carr - www.mcmaster.com and bought a couple of feet of it. I did have the fuel gel up on me one cold morning just after I'd filled the tank with B100 - made it to the end of the driveway and it quit. Later that day after it warmed up I was able to crank it up and get it back up to the house. I siphoned out 5 gallons of the B100 and refilled with regular diesel to get a better blend. No problems since. I ran regular LS Diesel all winter (especially since the price of Bio went up) but now that the prices have started to come down again I'm back to running B20 (actually cheaper than B100 today)
Old April 19th, 2007, 05:30 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antichrist
Doh! I guess I was brain dead this morning and didn't do a search. Sorry.
Draaronr, I'm planning on doing my own, and building my own system. Any information you've gathered would be appreciated (I saw you post in another thread about building your own "refinery"). I'm thinking my days as a pipefitter in chemical plants will come in handy.
I will actually be in Atlanta tomorrow night and saturday.

For a forum this is the best.
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=cfrm&s=447609751

I recommend building an appleseed reactor.
http://www.b100supply.com/ here is a great place for supplies or http://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/

Since you were a pipefitter this guy has some sweet metal designs. http://www.murphysmachines.com/

stay away from all the plastic reactors, they make great wash tanks, but terrible reactors due to heat loss. If you want or need more information please feel free to email me. draaronr@aol.com
Old April 19th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Spectre
Stephen
'76 SIII Lightweight

I would be interested in seeing how somebody would do this. Ive been wanting to convert my 110 or Lightweight to run biodiesel, perhaps even turn it into a non-profit outreach type thing.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 06:50 AM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre
I would be interested in seeing how somebody would do this. Ive been wanting to convert my 110 or Lightweight to run biodiesel, perhaps even turn it into a non-profit outreach type thing.
You need a diesel motor first. If you have that just start feeding it bio diesel. (you'll need to be ready to check replace some fuel lines and replace a few fuel filters after converting). Check the links draaron posted.
Old April 26th, 2007, 03:18 AM
PlantDriver
Craig Reece
1973 Series/Defender 100"

WVO not biodiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteD90
Craig Reece of Plant Drive is running bio in his 300tdi, roverhybrids on this board built his truck.

www.plantdrive.com

www.roverhybrids.com
Hi, thanks for the plug, but I'm running WVO (waste vegetable oil, aka (free) used frenchfry oil) with components I sell on my website: http://www.plantdrive.com

I use biodiesel as my start-stop fuel.

Craig

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
diesel