Binnacle Install - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 4th, 2014, 10:57 AM
bneri
Brian
1994 NAS D90 soft top

Registry
Binnacle Install

Was hoping someone could give me a quick lesson on a binnacle install for a 94 D 90…as typical, the instrument binnacle (or cowl, not sure the difference) had cracked in many places and since I don't want to replace it again in a few years, I ordered the metal binnacle from Raptor engineering as well as the hardware from RN…so back to the question, has anyone done this? Do I need to unplug the instrument panel? Any tips? thx Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 2014, 11:11 AM
El Solis
Chris Solis
Camel Trophy 110 sorta :)

I just did this and it is very easy. Unscrew the screws that hold the fan lever and if I remember the heat/defrost levers. Unscrew all of the screws that hold the gauge cluster on and pull it forward. The speedo cable will have to be disconnected, grab it, squeeze and pull it out. You should be able to get to the screws that hold the plastic cowl in place now. They are on top and tough to get to but not impossible. Once the screws are out just wiggle the plastic cowl out and wiggle the metal one in. You won't use all of the screws for the metal one as there are less holes for them. I used 3 or 4 don't remember but it is solid and much better. Once in just screw everything back together, don't forget to reconnect the speedo cable. Just push it back in.

Hope this helps

Chris
Old May 4th, 2014, 11:40 AM
Angus
Mike Ferguson
1994 Defender 90

Registry
I second Chris' comment. I did this a few months ago, and it took a little over an hour to complete. Disassembly was aided by the fact that the old plastic one fell to pieces once the screws were removed. Be careful when positioning the new one that you don't unplug any of the wires on the instrument lights. I did not remove the instrument cluster when I did the swap. Otherwise, pretty straight forward install and a significant upgrade.

Angus
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 2014, 05:55 PM
bneri
Brian
1994 NAS D90 soft top

Registry
Thanks guys, much appreciated…so I take it you guys only needed to disconnect the speedo, but nothing else? Don't really want to disconnect anything if I don't have to.
Old May 4th, 2014, 06:13 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis
Camel Trophy 110 sorta :)

You don't have to disconnect the speedo but it makes life so much easier

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac