Bilstein shock bushing order - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 25th, 2016, 11:06 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Bilstein shock bushing order

I am in the middle of installing Bilstein shocks and want to make sure I get the top/bottom mount bushing and washer orientation correct. The instructions are very unclear. This seems to make the most sense to me.

It seems to go
  • Thick smaller heavy washer lip pointed down
  • Bushing wider side down
  • Thinner larger diameter washer lip pointed up
  • TURRET / Plastic center tube in between bushings
  • Thinner larger diameter washer lip pointed down
  • Bushing wider end up
  • Thick smaller heavy washer lip pointed up

Same for bottom less plastic center tube

Upper

Lower
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 25th, 2016, 11:13 PM
javelinadave
-
-

That's it. You are sandwiching the bushings to hold them in place.
Old August 26th, 2016, 06:27 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
No the dished washers are upside down in your picture. Flanged washers correct.
If you think about it, the way you have them in the pic does not allow room for the rubber to squeeze out.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 26th, 2016, 08:05 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
No the dished washers are upside down in your picture. Flanged washers correct. If you think about it, the way you have them in the pic does not allow room for the rubber to squeeze out.
I'm not sure which you are saying is upside down? Outer or inner?

If the outer washers were flipped, the lower one on the upper would crush the mud guard. Also there would be no point to having that lip. Also the factory top washer faces down like that. (My top hats are seized)

If the center ones were flipped, they would face each other and crush when tightened. Also wouldn't allow room for the turret or lower mount to be in place.
Old August 26th, 2016, 10:07 AM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

The middle washers are oriented correctly(the ones that go against the shock mount). The outer(top/bottom) washers need to be flipped. Look here about 1/3 way down the page. Discovery I Rear Axle Suspension - Rovers North - Classic Land Rover Parts

Also, those bushings do not look correct. I've never seen tapered bushings that go on the pin mount. You sure those aren't for the rear upper eyelet/loop mount???
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9779
The tapered ones go in the upper rear, and the flat/cylindrical ones go on the lower/pin side.
Old August 26th, 2016, 10:14 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
The middle washers are oriented correctly(the ones that go against the shock mount). The outer(top/bottom) washers need to be flipped. Look here about 1/3 way down the page. Discovery I Rear Axle Suspension - Rovers North - Classic Land Rover Parts

Also, those bushings do not look correct. I've never seen tapered bushings that go on the pin mount. You sure those aren't for the rear upper eyelet/loop mount???
That page is for a Discovery. Looking on this page it seems the top and bottom washers are orientated correctly. What is the point of that cup shape on the washer it if it was facing away from the bushing ya know?

Front Axle Shocks & Springs, Suspension for Defender - Rovers North - Classic Land Rover Parts

Also I never removed my shock top from the turret, my suspension looks original, and it appears that the washer is oriented the same direction as I have mine. I can't get eyes on the bottom washer without cutting the shock shaft, the nut is too seized. Also if I was to flip the bottom one, wouldn't it not crush the metal shaft guard?

These are def the correct package of parts for the front, I have the rears already laid out with their proper tapered upper bushings in place. These ones are too small. Whether or not they are supposed to be tapered is another question but all my packages came with tapered bushings.

Both packages of fronts had the same parts contents. Same for the rear lowers.

EDIT - This shows the hardware contents, shows tapered bushings
http://www.truckspring.com/products/...24-188296.aspx

Maybe I am wrong.. I am going to call Bilstein in a few minutes, they were closed when I was working on it last night.
Old August 26th, 2016, 10:43 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Bilstein's instructions look clear (pages 5 - 8). What is the type # stamped on the side of the shock?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bilstein E4-WM5-Y217A00.pdf (455.6 KB, 20 views)
Old August 26th, 2016, 10:51 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Bilstein's instructions look clear (pages 5 - 8). What is the type # stamped on the side of the shock?
That's the thing. Neither my fronts nor rears have a type # on them. Part number, which doesn't match up with install at all.

My buddy and I looked everywhere for a good while for a type number. Not on the shocks or packaging. My shocks have made in USA on them, I wonder if the German made have a type number.

Fronts are 24-188296
Rear are 24-188302
Old August 26th, 2016, 11:03 AM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

You do know that Discovery, RRC, and D90 all share the same shock mounts, right? Your link even confirms that. So even though that install pic I. Linked to says D1 its the same for D90. As far as those tapered bushings I've never seen that. Maybe that allows the washers to be installed like this ( ). IDK.
Old August 26th, 2016, 11:09 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
You do know that Discovery, RRC, and D90 all share the same shock mounts, right? Your link even confirms that. So even though that install pic I. Linked to says D1 its the same for D90. As far as those tapered bushings I've never seen that. Maybe that allows the washers to be installed like this ( ). IDK.

Not all RRC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 26th, 2016, 11:36 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
I just spoke with Mike at Bilstein USA. Apparently they don't put the type number on the shocks anymore (WTF!?!). Anyway our trucks are most similar to Type 8 on instructions for future installers, with the exception of the tapered bushings and center rod on the top.

The way I have everything oriented is correct EXCEPT I have my bushings upside down. They are supposed to create an hour glass shape. Counter intuitive IMO as you would think large diameter bush side matches larger diameter washer, but I will trust Bilstein on their own designs.

They also stated they used a tapered bush (vs standard straight) on this model because of the increase shock rate to help soften the ride a bit.
Old August 26th, 2016, 11:49 AM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
Not all RRC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You know what I meant. Don't you have a photo contest to judge....poorly?

Did they meantion how the washers in the rear lower get installed? I would think installing the curve towards the bushing the washer would contact the cup..
Old August 26th, 2016, 11:55 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Good news! For prosperity, post photos of the correct orientation. No question this will help others.
Old August 26th, 2016, 12:05 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
You know what I meant. Don't you have a photo contest to judge....poorly? Did they meantion how the washers in the rear lower get installed? I would think installing the curve towards the bushing the washer would contact the cup..
I guess I should ask but I assume same as front

------ Follow up post added August 26th, 2016 01:05 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Good news! For prosperity, post photos of the correct orientation. No question this will help others.
Will do when I get home tonight
Old August 26th, 2016, 01:03 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
As per Mike @ Bilstein rear shock lower is same as front upper/lower

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bilstein