Bilstein or OME? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 27th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

Bilstein or OME?

Hi:
I am considering replacing the stock shock absorbers and springs in my Defender 110 (8 years old and with 80K kms)
Any thoughts on what is a better combination for a Defender 110 Td5?

a) standard Land Rover springs and Bilstein shock absorbers
b) complete OME suspension kit which includes springs and shock absorbers

I am looking for a standard (but improved) type of ride and good quality products. I have a winch mounted in the front.

Whether choosing option "a" or "b" I also have to change all the bushes which are quite worn. I have to decide between Polybush "blue" (soft) bushes and original Land Rover bushes. Opinions? Ive used "red" polybushes before and where way too hard and stiff.

Thanks
Regards
Santiago
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 27th, 2008, 09:28 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

I wasn't very happy with the polybushes on my Range Rover - I think I'd stick with the stock ones.

My preference is for the Bilstein shocks - I've used them on many vehicles over the years and always been happy with them. For the ultimate shock I'd go with the Koni Raids...
Old August 27th, 2008, 09:30 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Santiago,

I would go with Rovertym (www.rovertym.com) Progressive springs and Bilstein shocks... or if shipping is too much, OME Springs with Bilstein shocks.

And as for the bushes, go with LR rubber ones, they are just better.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 28th, 2008, 03:24 AM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Santiago - You'll probably get a lot of different opinions on this so I'll just add mine to the mix. I'd go with the OME springs, and then it sorta depends on the shocks. Here's an excerpt from EE's site:
"If you have ever compared the valving on the Old Man Emu and Bilstein shocks, you will know that Bilstein shocks are considerably stiffer than the the N115 and N44 shocks."
So it depends on the kind of ride you want - close to stock, go OME; firmer, go Bilstein. You won't go wrong on quality with either.
For bushings, I'd stay with LR genuine rubber.
Old September 1st, 2008, 10:38 AM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

Thanks for the comments.

OME springs and Bilstein shocks sounds like a good combo but what about if the OME springs are plus 2 inches long and the Bilstein shocks are standard, would that work?
Also, my 110 is equipped with a winch in the front so.... do OME springs come in "with winch" and "without winch" versions?

Thanks for your help
Cheers,
Santiago
Old September 1st, 2008, 06:54 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
I have had OME shocks and springs on all my trucks from RRC, D-90 to my 130. I have been more than happy with them. As mentioned above the Bilstiens are stiffer and the trucks that I have driven with Bilstiens on rough washboard roads were a bit harsher ride. Whichever you end up with I would definitely go with OEM rubber bushings instead of poly. I have had too many poly bushings split over the years.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 12:09 PM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

Kelly,

Thanks for your opinion.
After thinking about it quite a lot I more inclined to go for th OME springs and shocks plus original Land Rover rubber bushes.

What is the main difference between original springs and shock absorbers and OME springs + shock absorers. Is the improvement mainly on ride quality ? More control?

1 Last question: OEM stands for "original"? I am getting a bit confused between OME and OEM which I imagine is not a typing error.

Thanks!
Cheers,
Santiago
Old September 2nd, 2008, 12:26 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
OEM= Original equipment, what came with the truck.

On my Disco and Range Rover I went with a medium duty spring and shock set up because I used them mainly around town and for short camping trips. I gained about 2" of lift or maybe a hair under. Ride quality was instantly improved. The OEM springs had become mushy and I had lots of body roll on corners. The OME suspension really tightened things up yet still maintained a smooth on road feel. I put heavy duty springs on my D130 simply because of the weight. If you plan on adding a rack, winch and winch bumper I would consider the heavy duty springs and shocks. Expedition Exchange has the best description of what each spring and shock should be used for www.expeditionexchange.com British Pacific sometimes has great deals on spring and shock combos, www.britishpacific.com
Old September 2nd, 2008, 06:32 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Just to add another option, you might want to consider rovertym springs. Many different spring rates and heights to choose from. I have them and love em. Which Bilstein are you choosing to go with? if you go with the 7100 series they are very easy to custom valve for your application. They also give you the oppertunity to stiffen your ride as your add weight, remove sway bars etc.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 06:38 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
How would you compare the RTE spring to the OME interms of ride?
Old September 2nd, 2008, 08:27 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Not to bad talk Bilsteins but I have witnessed at least 5 shock failures on the trail. Some people will say the Bilsiens are good because you can have them rebuilt. I like the OME because I have never had a failure and only know of one failure where the eye at the top of the shock snapped off. I am sure there are other OME failures but I have yet to hear them.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 08:38 PM
zimm
bart
anyone moves..... #238 sold

i cant comment on the springs, but if you ever had a poly bushing get the sqeaks, youd appreciate rubber. rubber rides better too. in my opinion.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymoe
Not to bad talk Bilsteins but I have witnessed at least 5 shock failures on the trail. Some people will say the Bilsiens are good because you can have them rebuilt. I like the OME because I have never had a failure and only know of one failure where the eye at the top of the shock snapped off. I am sure there are other OME failures but I have yet to hear them.
i noticed the bilstiens sold for these sre rated medium when compared to the ome's. sorta shocked me.

looks like a road ride vs an off road ride compromise.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 09:09 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimm
i cant comment on the springs, but if you ever had a poly bushing get the sqeaks, youd appreciate rubber. rubber rides better too. in my opinion.

Follow-up Post:

i noticed the bilstiens sold for these sre rated medium when compared to the ome's. sorta shocked me.

looks like a road ride vs an off road ride compromise.
X2 on the rubber bushings. I'll never do poly again.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 06:09 PM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

While finding out about OME springs and shocks at Rover North I received feedback from Steve Haskell offering (recommedning) instead a Pro comp +2 inches spring/shock absorer combo.

According to Steve the Pro Comp springs give a true 2 inch lift (not the same with OME according to Steve) and give a softer ride. He mentions the Pro comp shocks have 2 inches more of travel, something which is not available with OME or original LR shocks.

Does anybody have experience fitting these springs or shocks or, even better, both?
The price seems to be better than the OME suspension kit. Nevertheless I am not looking for cheap prices here but rather to improve the ride of my vehicle so I would appreciate opinions on how Pro Comp may eventually compare with OME o LR springs/Bilstein shocks combinations.

Any positive or negative experiences with Pro comp will be helpful.
Are they built in the US or China or...?
Old September 3rd, 2008, 06:35 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Santiago - I have no experience with ProComp so I can't offer any help there. I do want to caution you about the 2" lift. I'm not sure what your reasons are for wanting a lift, but be aware that it can cause driveline vibrations. My truck has a 2" lift (mainly because I was running 35's), and I had to adjust the rear diff pinion angle to eliminate them. This doesn't happen with all trucks with a mild lift, but it does happen.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 06:49 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have and recomend against Pro Comp shocks

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 09:20 PM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

Ryan: I do not really need the lift since I am running 265/75/16s and plan on keeping them but I already have a +/- 1.5 inch lift (simply using spacers under the original springs) and since it looks nice I was just considering keeping some lift after changing springs/shocks. Having said so I am a bit worried about eventual vibrations and castor corrections, etc. I do not want to end up spending more money to correct problems that arise (like possible vibrations) after changing to * 2 inch springs. Ive asked and was told that unless you go >2 inches of lift everyting should be fine but maybe it is not a universal rule......
Thanks for the advice

Doug: Pro Comp shocks: bad ride or just unreliable?
Old September 3rd, 2008, 09:31 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
poor valving for on and off road use- they aren't leaking they just suck on a 110
I have the ones made for a 3 inch lift. They have about 2500 miles on them @ most.

If I were to go buy shocks right now I would buy the fox 10 inch emulsion shocks that Keith @ Rovertracks is recomending. About $135 ea

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bilstein