Bikini Top - '94 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 1st, 2011, 09:42 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Bikini Top - '94

Feel like an idiot asking this, but my '94 came with a factory bikini top. I put it on (the truck) last weekend, and the two straps seem extra long. Logically they should snap to the back of the tub, but when I do that, there's a lot of slack, and the rear flaps of the top flop around. The only solution I've come up with is to route the straps over the Alpine Bar and down to the back of the tub. It works, but it looks stupid.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 1st, 2011, 11:30 PM
dsh12
Daniel Hayes
1994 Defender 90 Soft Top

The snaps on the rear of the tub should be about five inches down, not the snaps used for the soft top near the top.

There are no guarantees expressed or implied of the accuracy or correctness of the contents of this message, and the Author is not liable for the taking of any action in reliance upon the contents of this message. As always, do your own research. To the extent that opinions are expressed in this message, they are not necessarily the opinions of the Author.
Old May 1st, 2011, 11:53 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Really? Mine has no such snaps. Interesting, must be another 'early 94' feature. Can you snap a picture of the snaps on yours?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 1st, 2011, 11:58 PM
dsh12
Daniel Hayes
1994 Defender 90 Soft Top

Give me a day or two; I don't have convenient access to a digital camera. For example, on the driver's side, the snap is at the height of the tag light.

------ Follow up post added May 2nd, 2011 12:22 AM ------

Quick measurements of the driver's side give 6 3/4" from the top of the tub and 1 3/4" measuring outward from the rear door opening. Obviously, this is a good location from which to start positioning your snap as it is important that the final location of the snap produces a snug fit on your vehicle.

There are no guarantees expressed or implied of the accuracy or correctness of the contents of this message, and the Author is not liable for the taking of any action in reliance upon the contents of this message. As always, do your own research. To the extent that opinions are expressed in this message, they are not necessarily the opinions of the Author.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 01:44 AM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Actually, you're supposed to have some tie down loops/eyes that go on the rear cappings. You can probably remove the clips that hold the rear window bar in and use those rivnuts for placement. Something like this:

http://www.boatersworld.com/product/...t=%7Badtype%7D

You just need to loop the straps thru those and use some of those nylon buckles like on backpack straps to cinch them tight. That's what came with the top when new.

-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old May 2nd, 2011, 11:23 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Brian, I think the original '94s all had snaps, no?

How hard would it be to install snaps?
Old May 3rd, 2011, 12:03 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

look at this one

http://britrover.com/listman/listings/l0003.html
Old May 3rd, 2011, 01:42 AM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by founD90 View Post
Brian, I think the original '94s all had snaps, no?

How hard would it be to install snaps?
Yeah, 94s had snaps for sure. Some Biminis could have had snaps on the ends but doubt that would allow for any adjustments if needed. I know the one I purchased new had the adjustments like I described above. I'm guessing it was an improvement over the older design.

You can probably get all the pieces you need from Badger. Looks like he calls them Footman Loops: http://badgercoachworks.com/index_files/Page1526.htm. Or you can do it like the truck on Britrover using the tub cutouts.

-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bikini top