Big Question Aboout Wiring - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 12th, 2016, 01:34 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Big Question Aboout Wiring

I'm getting to the point where I'm going to be actually running wires in the not too distant future. But I've got some questions revolving around some of the known issues.

Putting a 300Tdi into a LHD Saudi 110. The dash is the same as the NAS 110's. I'm replacing the bulkhead with an NAS 110 style, a virtual match to the original bulkhead.
  1. I have the original, complete, and fair condition 1988 wiring harness. The rest of the truck still has all the wiring installed that was connected to this harness.
  2. I have a 300Tdi wiring harness, which I believe is from a Disco. I am unsure of the condition, but looks good.
  3. I have a mostly complete, fair condition 1993 NAS 110 wiring harness. This has 3-4 clumps of wire ends/multi-wire connectors that have been hacked off. I think most of it was in the instrument panel.
Which would you use, and why?

My current thought is to use the original from this truck. The majority of connections are already there, ready to be plugged in. The main difference, and this would be the case with the other two as well, I assume, is that I need to get the new set of VDO gauges to work with it. Which leads to the next question:

What is the best way to get the gauges to work with the current wiring harness? Should I clip the current wires at the ends and simply put new connectors on? Move up to splice in at a convenient spot? Or run new wire all the way down to the relays/fuses? (BTW, I'm switching to blades.)

This kind of leads to a third question -- are there any parts of the NAS or Tdi harnesses that would be worth cannibalizing?

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 12th, 2016, 04:33 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
I used the following:

- 300tdi Main Harness
- original chassis harness
- homemade engine harness

I got the 300tdi harness on here for a great price but it had some connectors missing and I was kicking myself for not using the original. But...after finding the 300tdi wiring schematic and learning how it was wired I am very glad I went this route.

With the old 1986 Chassis harness I used just the wires and redid all the connectors to match to the 300tdi on the front and NAS/Econoseal III in the back. I wrapped the whole thing up with new black tape.

I have the OM617 so I made my own glowplug harness and modified it to "talk" to the 300tdi Main harness.

If the Disco 300tdi Main harness is close to a Defender I would use that. Just having the searchable 300tdi harness pdf makes it a lot easier.
Old March 12th, 2016, 04:58 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
The only problem I see with using the Disco harness, and the NAS one, is that there is a LOT of stuff on there I don't need, don't even have in the vehicle right now. Technically, the NAS harness would be an easy swap, but about half of it would be unused, just taking up room, making more of a tangle. I'm assuming this might be the case for the Disco as well.

I am going to have to lay each one out and compare a bit closer. But your idea may be a direction I'll go.

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 12th, 2016, 05:11 PM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

Use whatever harness best fits the bulkhead. Having the proper plugs in the right locations for switches and HVAC components, both inside and out, will make the swap substantially easier. I think the Disco harness is only going to give you headaches.

-Ash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

352-572-3236

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 12th, 2016, 05:46 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
The only problem I see with using the Disco harness, and the NAS one, is that there is a LOT of stuff on there I don't need, don't even have in the vehicle right now. Technically, the NAS harness would be an easy swap, but about half of it would be unused, just taking up room, making more of a tangle. I'm assuming this might be the case for the Disco as well. I am going to have to lay each one out and compare a bit closer. But your idea may be a direction I'll go.
You and Ash make a very good point about having too many extra wires on the Disco and NAS 110 harnesses.

Like you said lay them all out and see what is what. The 300tdi plugs are available as my harness didn't come with them all and I had to source them. Using the new style plugs at least for the rear lights is a smart upgrade IMO.

Not sure if you have the right crimp tools but those are definitely worth while when doing the plug connections. My build thread should have a bunch of posts on wiring and where I bought the connectors.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wiring