big puff of smoke coming from engine compartment at ignition - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 24th, 2011, 01:07 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

big puff of smoke coming from engine compartment at ignition

So after three months my truck has finaly arrived. It's not too bad, there are a few things to fix but nothing major accept for the transport company trying to make my 110 a ST but that's another story for another time( as soon as I figure out how to post pics from my phone). One issue though is a big puff of smoke coming from around the turbo when I start it. It is not a constant thing, just one blast. Is there some exhaust releif valve or something there or do I have a genuine exhaust leak?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 24th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
that smoke would be exhaust with some oil in it most likely. anything smoky coming from around the turbo is on the exhaust side of the turbo. it could be the exhaust manifold gasket, the turbo flange or the downpipe connection to the turbo exhaust outlet. if it is coming out your air/intake side of the turbo, well....time for new turbo.

I'm betting though that it is a small exhaust leak on the manifold somewhere, and since the smoke goes away, it is likely exhaust side unburnt diesel from startup.
Old August 13th, 2016, 11:28 AM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
this board is amazing

researching, found this thread

good stuff Mark

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine, part